Mountain Lion Shot In Arkansas

Quillback

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a man who wants to survive. I'm a glory hound I guess.

Again use your brain. These things don't wear bells. If they're stalking you, you don't know it.

If it was threatening him I have no problem with him shooting it, but just seeing a mountain lion does not mean it is threatening you, and shooting it so that you know for sure where it is, is illegal and cowardly. The gloom and doom 24 hour news coverage has everyone afraid of their own shadows this day and age, and that is sad to me. This video depicts what I assume most of the shot Mountain Lion incidents locally have been like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nt6kKhlX8vU

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Again use your brain. These things don't wear bells. If they're stalking you, you don't know it.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why I wonder how it was threatening him since he evidently knew it.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Well, that wasn't so bad. I've got worse wounds from playing with my puppy dog. :D

Good point. There are lots of statistics about Lion attacks and dog attacks and in the US more people, about twice as many, are killed by dogs. Overall children are most vulnerable it seems to attacks.

I doubt we will likely see any attacks in this part of the country for one simple reason, too much food. In fact the cat he shot would probably be eating high on the hog for awhile without making a kill. He would just eat the deer wounded by piss poor shots.

If it were up too me, you shoot a lion he had better be within 20' feet of you. If he's off in the woods somewhere you would pay.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Shooting it didn't make him a glory hound. If anything..."Reporting it" did. But I don't see it that way.

He was alone in the woods with a cougar, he shot it. He could have made up a big tall tale so nobody could dispute his choice, and to ensure that he wouldn't get in trouble... but he didn't.

Hell, he could have said he thought it was a trespassing Labrador retriever.... and not gotten in trouble.

The cat was coming toward him, it scared him, and he took care of business. That's not the type of story usually associated with a glory hound.

Probably just a young male traveling through from Montana looking for it's own territory.

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's why I wonder how it was threatening him since he evidently knew it.

Having a mountain lion within a certain distance is good enough for me. Especially if you don't know where it's going and what its up to. It very well could wind you, wait, stalk, then attack. If you knew what it was doing when you don't see it then that's different. You don't.

What I and you consider a threat are likely different. I'm not basing my survival on what you are comfortable with. Wanna let it pass? By all means do it. Have a fun walk out in the dark.

Shooting it didn't make him a glory hound. If anything..."Reporting it" did. But I don't see it that way.

He was alone in the woods with a cougar, he shot it. He could have made up a big tall tale so nobody could dispute his choice, and to ensure that he wouldn't get in trouble... but he didn't.

Hell, he could have said he thought it was a trespassing Labrador retriever.... and not gotten in trouble.

The cat was coming toward him, it scared him, and he took care of business. That's not the type of story usually associated with a glory hound.

We haven't seen the story yet other than he said it was moving toward him so he shot it. The glory hound part would come in with his buddies not the general public since what he did was illegal no one will glorify it, and I did give one other option other than glory hound, which may be the case in this situation. I hope we get more info like distance at which it was shot etc. Hopefully it was self-defense, but it seems curious that we get threatened by cougars in Mo. and Ark. more than people in states where they are all over the place, and we have only a handful of them around. Now I'm heading out with my bow to see if I can get threatened by a big old buck I've been seeing, hope I don't get attacked by a cougar!

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Having a mountain lion within a certain distance is good enough for me. Especially if you don't know where it's going and what its up to. It very well could wind you, wait, stalk, then attack. If you knew what it was doing when you don't see it then that's different. You don't.

What I and you consider a threat are likely different. I'm not basing my survival on what you are comfortable with. Wanna let it pass? By all means do it. Have a fun walk out in the dark.

That is fine, but don't lie about your story to MDC and the media when you shoot one broadside at 100 yards so that you can feel comfortable about your hike (and be prepared to accept the legal consequences). What if you see a bear? You are much more likely to be mauled by a bear in Missouri walking in the woods than a lion. Will you just shoot one of those if you see it?

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Exactly. Tree hugging peta loving bleeding hearts calling "bs" on a story and situation they know nothing about and labeling the guy is ignorant. We know what he said. It was a threat. Good kill it.

Before long you won't be able to swat flies without fear of a ticket. Get over it. That cat being dead affects you in no way. Letting it walk could have changed the hunters life (which is of much higher value) forever.