What Rod Length Do You Use For Wading

drew03cmc

What Rod length and type do you use when wading?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In wading I will agree with Mr Agnew. I prefer shorter light action rods with lighter line though. I've never had trouble playing a big fish on4 lb mono either. I think it is all a matter of what cover you're fishing and how big youev

Up in Illinois it's a 7 ft medium spin on the river and a 7 ft med light spin on the cricks .

what a long strange trip it's been , put a dip in your hip, a glide in your stride and come on to the mother ship , the learning never ends

I go against the grain of the others. I'm usually fishing fairly small creeks when wading, and I really like a short rod to handle tight places. I also use more topwater lures than anything else while wading, and I don't like playing topwaters with spinning tackle. I usually use a 5'6" medium power casting rod. I used to use a lighter power rod, but if I DO want to fish something like a tube or small jig, I need enough backbone to set the hook. If I am on a really small creek, however, where I don't expect to catch anything bigger than 14 inches or so, I'll go to a medium light spinning rod. Nearly all the creeks I wade, though, hold fish up to 18 inches or more.

I go against the grain of you Al. I would hate to fish the way you do. I love taking my time on a river and fishing with soft plastics exclusively with a spinning rod (5'6" to 6'). Glad to hear your "creeks" hold fish up to 18" or more. We're so lucky to hear from you. Come to think about it... you should write smallmouth articles for Missouri Game and Fish. Ever heard of it?

HUMAN RELATIONS MANAGER @ OZARK FISHING EXPEDITIONS

Yep, at times I've even had subscriptions to MO Game and Fish, ever since back in the 1970s. I still remember a couple of articles by a guy back then that talked about all the big smallmouth there were on the Meramec. I've also been mentioned in a few articles in there over the years, and might have even written one way back when.

Kinda funny you should mention writing for them, though...I've actually been considering writing an article for In-Fisherman about the way I fish the rivers, concentrating on fishing from canoes and kayaks. I have written a couple of articles for them in the past.

I find, though, that I spend time on here and on a couple of other websites, and do a lot of writing like this, but can't find the time to actually write many formal articles (or the books I've intended to write for a long time). This is relaxation after working at the easel all day, like watching TV but with more participation and social interaction.

As for the way you fish and the way I fish, to each his own. I just can't imagine foregoing catching lots of fish on topwater for dragging soft plastics, and I can almost always catch them on top in warm weather when I'm wading. Plus, it gives me a lot of exercise hiking three or four miles up the creek and back down :)

Depends on what I threw in the car. Might be a 6' spinning or a 6'6" baitcaster or a 7' 3wt or and 8' 8wt. Who cares. There are no hard rules. Whatever, it's fishing.

This is the kind of appathetic thinking that leads to simple enjoyment of the outdoors. There's no place for that here :D

John

I go against the grain of you Al. I would hate to fish the way you do. I love taking my time on a river and fishing with soft plastics exclusively with a spinning rod (5'6" to 6'). Glad to hear your "creeks" hold fish up to 18" or more. We're so lucky to hear from you. Come to think about it... you should write smallmouth articles for Missouri Game and Fish. Ever heard of it?

Dam... Someone's feeling a little inferior... They have 1 good MLB postseason in 30 years and they start getting mouthy! Sorry the baseball's better and the smallies are bigger on this side of the state.

Perfect response Al... Priceless!