Shooting Blue Rocks on MDC land

wily

i've taken my two boys dove hunting on mdc land the last couple weekends and the birds arent flying as much as the were earlier in the season.  this past weekend -- i threw up dirt clods for the boys to shoot at...which is fun...but clay pigeons would be better.

we live in town and dont have a place to shoot without driving to the family farm (some relatives dont like us shooting blue rocks due to potential hazards to livestock...which seems silly to me...but that's a different story)

anyhoo to get back to the original question...do you think it would be ok to shoot blue rocks at Talbot? 

thanks for the tip on the biodegradable birds == seems crazy that any one would manufacture blue rocks that were unsafe to livestock to save a couple bucks...heck you shoot them in fields dont ya?

the last box we bought which was white flyer had a little warning printed on it -- i didnt see the warning when i bought them and was surprised when I was questioned about it. 

We never had a problem with cattle and skeet type targets but I remember dad waning about hogs eating them and getting sick.  Talk to Jay Steele (I think that is the right name) at Talbot, they may well have a place where you can shoot close by the shop building.

I would think it would be more of a litter problem on a conservation area than a hazard to livestock.

When I think of conservation area, I think of a natural area.  I don't think I would want to walk around and find a bunch of broken skeet laying around.

I would not like to be bow hunting for deer either and have someone blasting dirt clods behind me either, but that is what you have to deal with on MDC properties.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

thanks for the tip on Crowder's shotgun range -- we might try it

as to your point jd -- we werent at talbot -- i just used that as an example.  we were on a different mdc area that is specifically managed for doves.  we didnt shoot very many dirt clods...maybe 5 or 6 total.  i just wanted my youngest to get some practice...and it was about 1pm.  we were a long ways from anyone who might have also been hunting...so get over yourself.

Wily, bois d Arc has a very nice range, might give it a look see.  Its near Ash Grove, 417-895-6880.  they have rifle, pistol, trap and skeet ranges.  Pack some .22's along and make a day of it.  sounds like a good time to me.