Anchor on a river Jon boat

when i had a jon boat i used an anchor mate with 100 yards of line and a 15 lb fluke type anchor to the front . it was easy to let out more line and drop back . the anchor mate also eased the line retrieval . 

if wind was an issue i had a 12 lb bell type anchor on 25 ft of line on the back to stabilize the boat . i would just drop it straight down off the back and tie off excess line . 

what a long strange trip it's been , put a dip in your hip, a glide in your stride and come on to the mother ship , the learning never ends

Jdecoudres,

Not sure what kind of mounting situation you have but let me give you some information on what the BilletHead uses. I use this anchor pulley, http://www.cabelas.com/product/Anchor-Pulley/700040.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Danchor

I did some modifications to my pulley. Got rid of the junky spring that sets the rope. The locking part is heavy enough it will drop to hold the rope. I also replaced the rivets with stainless steel bolts and nuts for a beefier set up.  Use a large diameter rope and you may still have to shim adding a plate under the rope. If you want a photo of that I can do that just let me know,

DSCF2563.JPG

DSCF2565.JPG

DSCF2566.JPG

I use one or two lead anchors made by pouring lead in an old skillet or heavy pan. Depending again on current flow chooses one or two anchors. Not sure what they weigh though. I fish some high current areas on the river and in gravel I may even have to leave motor in gear to help me hold. I use a very long rope and when I am seated at the console and I am alone I can set anchor from a setting position,

DSCF2564.JPG

Hope this gives you another possible option,

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

34 minutes ago, Jdecoudres said:

Is there a advantage of the pulleys vs the electric winch style?

Price I suppose. Energy expended. Manuel vs motor assist?

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

14 hours ago, Jdecoudres said:

Is there a advantage of the pulleys vs the electric winch style?

more drain on the battery , preferred to save that for slipping with the trolling motor when current conditions allowed to save gas on the outboard . 

what a long strange trip it's been , put a dip in your hip, a glide in your stride and come on to the mother ship , the learning never ends