Bull Shoals, may 15-16, 2020

mixermarkb

Got a late start out of STL on Friday morning, and dropped in at Buck Creek in a steady rain about 2pm. I went looking for a largemouth bite I'd thought I'd found last week. Caught a few, but none of the quality we were looking for, and really found it pretty tough going, even after the rain quit. My buddy Dan stumbled upon a crappie swimming a grub, and we made another pass and kept catching them. We ended up keeping 12 each, with three about 14" and average around 11 to 12". Kept one spotted bass, and it and nearly all of the crappie had eggs when I cleaned them. 

Saturday we got started around 7:30, and spent a good time trying to force a topwater bite that just still isn't happening, even with cloud cover and perfect conditions. Buckled down on the smallmouth, and caught somewhere between a lot and a metric ton. Same stuff I've been doing for weeks. May be slowing down a tIny bit on the really big fish, we only had two 19" on the day, but still lots of keepers. Smallies look post spawn and a little beat up now. 

Waiting on that topwater deal to go, it can't be long now. Hopefully we don't just jump into 100 degree days and it sticks around long enough to enjoy it. 

Water temps 63-65 most everywhere I was, with enough floaters out there to keep running a boat interesting for sure. Also saw my first wake boat towing folks of the season, it was out in the main lake around Oakland.

We quit when we heard lots of thunder about 2:30, and had to wait in line at the Spring Creek ramp for several bass boats launching, right into the teeth of a big black cloud that hit pretty hard right when we got back to the room at TMR to grab our gear and crappie filets around 3pm. Rain followed us most of the way home. 

Hope everyone was safe out there.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Members

We fished a tournament Saturday and it was the same deal. You would have thought it would have been a great topwater bite but we only had one blowup. We ran up past Tucker Hollow and caught a lot of smallmouth. The majority of fish we saw weighed in were smallmouth.

18 hours ago, Cameron Gillespie said:

We fished a tournament Saturday and it was the same deal. You would have thought it would have been a great topwater bite but we only had one blowup. We ran up past Tucker Hollow and caught a lot of smallmouth. The majority of fish we saw weighed in were smallmouth.

How many boats, what did it take to win?