42 Or 48

taxidermist

We bought a 48" used boat 3 spider seat and two additional seats. Going to try it with the 15hp 4 stroke. I dont know if this is a Shawnee or J&S it has higher sides than the other boats, I like that! Its a used boat needs a bit of work but it will do. and less than half to price of a new boat without seats.

There are sooooo many good used trout boats on the market that I'm sure it hurts the boat makers. Good for you Taxi.I hope you catch a metric tonne.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

A few weeks back at the Narrows there was a fellow with a 115 Merc jet and a Alum. boat doing wide open throttle up river on one generator. Another fisherman and I commented at the ramp the dude was lucky not to hit a rock. on the shoal. Would have been a bad deal had they found a chunk of mother earth.

Our 48 has a ribbed floor and a dry storage up front. no long front deck. weights enough I cant turn the boat over by myself. It needs a bit of repair on the bottom its not been int he water since 2007, 1/3 what a new boat cost.

If the aluminum boat was set up for jet usage(thick hull), hitting a rock won't hurt it.

Hitting a rock is ok.

Hitting an iceberg...

There's a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the boat has some gel coat rubbed off on the bottom, So I have ground out the old very dry looking glass and redone it, with a lot more glass mat and resin. Come spring I will put a week into it and redo the gelcoat.

When I reg. the boat I found out it was a 1968 Shawnee, has aluminum rails not the wooden ones.

Anyway I am replacing the guide on bunks tomorrow and will possible get the 15 Merc 4 stroke on it Sunday.

reall excited about getting out on the river with it, I have not had this much room in a river boat!!!

Did find a 9.9 Suzuki for the red boat. I am going to rig it for the Buffalo, if the 2 stroke 9.9 is to big I have a 4hp Mariner full shift 2 stroke that I know will be fine for Buffalo.

Anyone run a 20 ft boat on Crooked Creek?

• 1 month later...

Well after a few trips int he barge as the wife calls it, she really likes it, I do too. With my bladder problem its easier to_ _ _ . lol

Anyway its a bit slower but its fine. Lots of room.We did have to make two attempts to go over Redbud shoals with not units on line first attempt we bumped a couple times with the prop the second time was fine.

As mentioned earlier I have fished a 42 Supreme with a 20 jet and comparing the two I like the 48 Shawnee better.

Under higher water a larger motor may b in order while a 15 4 stroke will get you there with two people. I think maybe a 20hp 4 stroke Yamaha would make a huge difference.

I personaly like shawnees more than supremes because of the design of the bottom.

I have seen a 20ft riverboat on CC before but the water was flowing alot more than it is now.

everything in this post is purely opinion and is said to annoy you.