New Vise

I have decided that I need a new vise and have pretty much narrowed it down to the peak rotary or the Renzetti traveling vise. Both appear well made and respected and are comparably priced. Which one would you choose and maybe more importantly have you tied on both? Any major differences between the two that would influence your choice? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks

Dale

I have decided that I need a new vise and have pretty much narrowed it down to the peak rotary or the Renzetti traveling vise. Both appear well made and respected and are comparably priced. Which one would you choose and maybe more importantly have you tied on both? Any major differences between the two that would influence your choice? Looking forward to your responses. Thanks

Dale

I have tied on both and prefer the peak because of the cam lock system. It seems to hold the hook more secure for me. The Renzetti, I never could seem to get it tight enough to keep the hook from slipping at the most important times when tying a fly. Just my preference though and I'm sure others have different opinions.

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

I've never used a Peak vise but I do use the Renzetti Cam Traveler. Never had a problem with hook slippage. The old Traveler vises did not have a cam lock system and because of that there could have been some problems. But, since they introduced the cam lock system, I haven't heard of any problems with hooks slipping. You'll break your thread before you slip a hook.

Using the Renzetti Cam Traveler, I've tied on size 20 hooks up to size 2 bass bug hooks and never had a problem.

There's a fine line between fishing and sitting there looking stupid.

I have tied on both and prefer the peak because of the cam lock system. It seems to hold the hook more secure for me. The Renzetti, I never could seem to get it tight enough to keep the hook from slipping at the most important times when tying a fly. Just my preference though and I'm sure others have different opinions.

I have tied alot of flies on a Renzetti Traveller, both the old screw type and the cam. I don't know how big of a hook you were having trouble with, but I have never had a problem in the size 4 to 18 range. You just have to play with the front screw a little and it locks down fine.

The trick is to adjust the vise, use your finger to apply down pressure on the hook to see if it is adjusted tight enough. If it is right, you will bend or break a hook before it slips. Once it is adjusted for a hook size, it is pretty automatic.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

After a lot of research have decided on the peak vise (flytyingforum.com has an exhaustive 41 page poll on vises-I never knew so many even existed). Thanks for the info I will give a report on how it ties when I receive it.

That was one vise that I never could get the hang of, Norvise. I tried one years ago when they first hit the market, but could not get the hang of it. It was alot slower mounting a hook and no real advantages over other rotary vises I had used. I have friends that use them and like them though. The bobbins were pretty nice.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

They have improved on a lot of the flaws in the older models. I love the dubbing wind on it no more loop's and the need for three hands. & the way you can re enforce Peacock herl.

Take a Child Fishing they are the future of the sport.