Fished Lower Crane Today 2-11-11

duckydoty

Decided to fish the Lower End for a couple of hours today. All roads to the access are in great shape. The parking lot was still covered in snow. I saw no people or tire tracks in the snow anywhere. Tied up some bead headed nymphs yesterday with lots of extra weight just for fishing today. I called them "Depth Charges".

post-49-12974626226886_thumb.jpg

Tied one on in the parking lot and headed to the water right by the bridge. I got a little startled when 50 or more mallards flushed just as I poked my head over the bank. That was a lot of ducks for such small water. Found a nice run just in front of the first log jam and made a drift polish nymphing style. Hooked up on the first drift with a 6 inch, beautifully colored McCloud.

post-49-12974625945277_thumb.jpg

Worked my way down stream picking up a fish hear and there and marking the better holes to consentrate a little harder on when I made my way back up stream to the parking lot.

post-49-12974626078413_thumb.jpg

On my way back up I wanted to climb out on a log jam to fish some water that was unaccessable from the bank.

post-49-12974628828347_thumb.jpg

Once I got out there I could see 4 or five trout in the bottom of the pool. Dropped my fly in an the biggest on in the hole came right up and slammed the fly. I way overset the hook out of excitement, snapped the fish off and allmost fell in the water. I did manage to land one nice McCloud today in a deeper run just below that log jam. One of the biggest McClouds I have ever landed. Great day on the Creek. Should be in great shape for this weekend.

post-49-12974625638473_thumb.jpg

post-49-12974625785418_thumb.jpg

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

Crane has been nice all winter, a bit low for my taste, still in decent shape. MK & Russ have been telling me all winter

they were going to come down and show me how to fish Crane. MK was going to show me how to catch a big one out of Crane.

Glad you had a good trip, the pics looked great.

Tim Homesley

23387 st. hwy 112

Cassville, Mo 65625

Roaring River State park

Tim's Fly Shop

www.missouritrout.com/timsflyshop

Crane has been nice all winter, a bit low for my taste, still in decent shape. MK & Russ have been telling me all winter

they were going to come down and show me how to fish Crane. MK was going to show me how to catch a big one out of Crane.

Glad you had a good trip, the pics looked great.

Thanks Tim. Hopefully this snow melting will bring the water up some. I did not even try going to the upper end for fear of no water.

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

As soon as I get back from France, I'll be down on

Crane, the next day :)

Tim Homesley

23387 st. hwy 112

Cassville, Mo 65625

Roaring River State park

Tim's Fly Shop

www.missouritrout.com/timsflyshop

As soon as I get back from France, I'll be down on

Crane, the next day :)

On your way to France, thinking about Crane.....I like the way you think, Tim.

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

My wife just walked in as I was looking at photo of the trout net and rod and she is normally not impressed with fish photos unless involving grandchildren. She belives that is one of the best she's ever seen and asked if you were going to sell copies of it.

IS that deer tracks beside the net in your #6 picture? That's a good fish, the net is 16 inches from hoop to upper handle. Does MC know that you had her net?

MC does not know I had her net, but then again, I was designated "Net Boy" by her a few years ago. I'm glad she left it in the car. Mine is in the truck and the truck is stuck in the yard.

Lots of deer tracks out there today and duck tracks. Ducks everywhere down there today. I do not know if it is a deer track in the picture though.

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

My wife just walked in as I was looking at photo of the trout net and rod and she is normally not impressed with fish photos unless involving grandchildren. She belives that is one of the best she's ever seen and asked if you were going to sell copies of it.

LOL! I think it is the net that sets this whole picture off. You see this is a custom made net that was given to my wife as a birthday present and made by one of our very own fello OAF'ers. It is a very special net, and I probably should not have been using it today. The picture was taken with a camera phone, so it is not really very good quality. Feel free to save it and print it.

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

MC does not know I had her net, but then again, I was designated "Net Boy" by her a few years ago. I'm glad she left it in the car. Mine is in the truck and the truck is stuck in the yard.

Lots of deer tracks out there today and duck tracks. Ducks everywhere down there today. I do not know if it is a deer track in the picture though.

Good report, glad you got out and about.

After looking at that track again, it could be that of a wounded mountain lion.