Oil Spill

I guess we can expect to hear of a monster fish kill on the Yellowstone River. Exxon-Mobile.....

Go to yellowstoneriveroilspill

100-0023

This just makes me sick to my stomach. The Yellowstone has always been one of the most pure river systems in the country, relatively unnaffected by man. Now this happens. It's one of the saddest stories I've heard in a long time. The lower Yellowstone where this occurred is a very unique and beautiful environment-I hope it survives this, but I kinda fear the worst.

Drill baby, drill!

Green energy will not work. It didn't work for thousands of years before oil and it won't work after oil!

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Just another of the hidden costs of using fossil fuels...that's no longer hidden, but will be paid by the river's ecosystem and the people who love it, while everybody else goes on complaining about high gasoline prices. Apparently this pipeline ruptured under the riverbed, where it was supposed to be buried 6 feet underground. Any fool who knows anything about the Yellowstone knows that it's a big, fast river (even down there around Billings) that floods almost every spring and stays very high for at least one to two months. And they know its bed consists of rounded rock and gravel that is never completely stable, and is susceptible to being moved around considerably in high water. So any fool should have realized that there was a good possibility that a pipeline buried six feet down in unconsolidated river sediments could be exposed in a high water event, and with the number of huge cottonwood trees that get washed down the Yellowstone in those high water events, once it was exposed it was inevitable that something would come along and damage it. And Exxon-Mobil is no fool. I'll bet it was simply a cost thing for them...build it cheap, bury it so nobody can see it, and take your chances. And gee, somebody was quoted as saying that it happened at the worst time, when the river was so high you couldn't get close to the break. Well, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT???? For it to break when the river was low and it was still buried?

Spend a few million dollars to do it right next time.

Drill baby, drill!

Green energy will not work. It didn't work for thousands of years before oil and it won't work after oil!

I get your point, but bringing up the past is irrelevant. I doubt anyone wants to ride a horse to work anymore. Green energy does work but it's going to take time to get it right.

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

Running an oil pipeline right under the Yellowstone River with apparently no safeguard in place is just pure greed and stupidity. Inexcusable, no matter what your opinion on the green energy debate is.

Not excusing what has happened...but if its near Billings not many will notice...or care. FWIW, Utility corridors run under most every river that we have....you will cross one between 6x and Ross on your float next weekend...VERY common.

Not excusing what has happened...but if its near Billings not many will notice...or care.

You are right that not many people will care because this didn't happen on the famous trout waters of the upper river. Which is maybe the saddest part. Most of us tend only to care about streams that fit a certain mold: fast, clear, scenic ,good fishing. The rest just don't matter I guess.

I know that utility corridors run under most rivers. I am just saying there should be more care used and more money spent to help prevent this kind of thing.

I get your point, but bringing up the past is irrelevant. I doubt anyone wants to ride a horse to work anymore. Green energy does work but it's going to take time to get it right.

And that is the classic arguemnt. We have to wait. Wait for what?? No time like the present to get started. If the oil companies and the government would not have got in the way in the 70's, we wouldn't be having this conversation now.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors