Would You Support This Legislation?

The state of Missouri is blessed with several absolutely beautiful spring fed rivers. The cool, clean water of these streams supports several species of highly sought after game fish. The fishermen who chase these fish pay the taxes that provides the money to patrol and enforce the law on these rivers.

Every summer, however, these rivers become party central, with hundreds of thousands or perhaps millions of people converge on the rivers to take float trips, where some of them get drunk and rowdy, use the river as a bathroom, and leave trash strewn everywhere. The Water Patrol and game wardens get completely swamped during this time, there simply aren't enough of them (usually 2 per county) to patrol that many people.

Currently, there is no tax, aside from regular income taxes, levied on rentals at canoe liveries. No sales tax or anything. I think a $3 tax on every rental (which go for $30-50 per day), directed towards the enforcement of the law and litter cleanup on the waterways, would go a long way towards bringing some sanity back to the rivers between Memorial Day and Labor Day. It's time that the party crowd pull their own weight with regards to maintaining our state's waterways.

If you support this, will you join me in asking your elected officials to sponsor a bill to this effect?

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are plenty of taxes on the people that use the rivers and it generates alot of income for the area.

Tourism in the area generates a portion of each canoe, tube, raft rental back to the NFS. Canoe Rentals in the NFS Riverways pay the NFS an estimated amount in the spring of the year based on the amount of floats they estimate and settle up the overage/shortage at the end of the season. They track it with the little form you fill out each time. The Forestry Service gets paid well with tax dollars and income generated by any person using the river.

Tourism generates many jobs, including the law enforcement, float camps, campgrounds, motels, restaurants, shops, grocery, etc. That all contributes to the economy of the area by income taxes that the jobs create and the sales tax from what they spend.

Tourism generates sales tax income to the area. All of the beer, food, gas, motels, etc generates a sales tax income for the state and county. That is to be used for law enforcement and road upkeep.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

I agree with JD. Plenty of tax monies being collected.

The state of Missouri is blessed with several absolutely beautiful spring fed rivers. The cool, clean water of these streams supports several species of highly sought after game fish. The fishermen who chase these fish pay the taxes that provides the money to patrol and enforce the law on these rivers.

It is not just fishermen that provide funds through taxes. Anyone that spends money in this state whether they fish or not helps to pay for the enforcment.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Chief and JD hit it on the head with the taxes already in place and right now I do not think people are going to want more taxes with the recent SCOTUS court ruling that allows the largest tax in US History . I have a serious bad taste in my mouth right now for Taxes. Im tired of being taxed.

I was not aware there was already a use tax in place JD, does that apply only to the designated national riverways, or to others such as the Meramec as well? Huzzah Valley Resort's web site advertises no sales tax on canoe rentals.

I would think that applies only to rivers like the Current and maybe Eleven Point, but I've never seen law enforcement down there either, NFS or otherwise.

Chief and JD hit it on the head with the taxes already in place and right now I do not think people are going to want more taxes with the recent SCOTUS court ruling that allows the largest tax in US History . I have a serious bad taste in my mouth right now for Taxes. Im tired of being taxed.

I'm not one to take taxes lightly, but something is broken when it comes to law enforcement on our public waters.

Could there be more enforcement certainly there can, Using Beaver as an example. If each PD that borders the lake had 1 more officer and a patrol boat and assign 2 sheriff's from each county and 1 warden there would be at least 10 officers on the lake each day. 10 officers that we already have and already are paid for by taxes. If you look at any waterway you could easily see that its possible. It is a matter of priority and lake are low on that list.

What I would like to see is a roll back on the numbers of canoes allowed on some rivers. I don't know what the formula would be, but some rivers need it

The Niangua is the one that most often comes to mind.

I think they should cut all the outfitters back by issuing permanent permits for X number of canoes and temporary for the rest. make the temporary perments good for 5 years or about that. This would give the outfitters time to make the adjustment.

I know some, like people who float the NFOW or the 11PT probably think that's a little harsh, but you should go give something like the Niangua a float on a summer Saturday and see what river chaos is.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.