Any Lower Bull Shoals Report This Week

BassMaster#1

I’m heading down to Bull Shoals for the weekend tomorrow to do some fishing. We will be putting in around the Oakland Marina area. Can any one suggest some good places to fish around this area? I would like to get into some nice smallmouth and largemouth and hopefully 1 or 2 walleyes. Should I be focusing on the shallow bite rather than the deep bite? Would trying the mouths of creeks and maybe back half way be good for the largemouth? I guess trying the points and secondary points in creeks would be good for the smallmouth? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

We got down here today around 10am and went up the Gulley arm and we didn't have much luck at all. It was really windy and our rental boat trolling motor wasn't really up to the task of keeping us in place. Once the wind died down bassmaster#1 managed a couple dinks on some cranks and shakey heads. I got one little spot on a drop shot near some timber in 30' of water. We then went across the channel to the Pine branch and he caught one just short of a keeper on a shakey. Started getting dark so we headed back to Oakland marina where we fished from the bank for a bit under the marina docks and I caught three LM over 2lbs on a jig and trailer and he got another on a shakey head. Hopefully the wind is a little lighter tomorrow.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Use that wind to your advantage. Find chunk/ledge rock banks, or areas where the bank changes from rock to gravel where that wind is blowing in, and throw spinner baits. Find creeks that the wind is blowing into the back of, and throw blades and traps. The creek pattern I was on last week was taking place in inches of water, not feet.

For smallies, 3" yammotto grubs in green pumpkin, watermelon/red, or smoke black flake, on pea gravel main lake points will catch a few.

Try waaaaayyyy up the creeks in the afternoon tho. If you see clouds of shad under the water, the bass are there too.

Well we decided to head up to Big creek yesterday after reading about Cedar Creek holding fish year round. Bassmaster#1 hooked a decent 15" smallie real early on a shakey head so we thought we would be getting into them finally but didn't catch another fish until we headed up deeper into Big Creek where I caught I caught a small spot off a bluff on a deep diver. We headed all the way up Big into Missouri and hit some docks and flats and didn't have any luck. On our way back out we hit up a few smaller coves on the west side of Big where the wind was blowing into and finally figured it out. Caught about 3-4 spots and LM a piece on watermelon shakey heads in about 15' just where the bank had drop offs. Headed back to the marina where we caught some heathy LM again on jigs in the dark. Seems we caught the most around the docks.

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

Fished a few coves on the other side of Oakland Public area from the marina. Didn't have a single bite on top water, shakey heads, or cranks. Saw lots of gar coming up and gulping air, but no bass.

After this weekend being our first time down at Bull Shoals, it's a beautiful lake, but man is it hard to fish effectively. Where it looks like there should be fish, there weren't any. And the fish we did catch, from the boat at least, left us scratching our heads for the most part on why they were where they were. We decided it's definitely a lake we'd like to come back and fish again though, maybe in the spring though when the spawn is on and the fish aren't out in the deep waters we aren't used to fishing in.

-- Jim

Fall is a tough time of the year on Bull. Until the bass move into the backs of the creeks in numbers, it's hard. They still seem to be in that transition thing. Sorry you guys didn't hit the Bull when it was rocking. Did you see any bait on the mudflats in 2 feet or less in the backs of the creeks?

We never really got way up into any of the branches. Rental boat you break it you bought it kind of thing you know :)

We wish we had a better graph on the boat though, it was an older Lowrance X50 and part of the time it didn't work, and the times it did it didn't show much other than the bottom, depth and temp. We wish we had a nice down imaging unit on it to see more of what was going on. The only bait fish we really saw were little inch long minnows near the marina near dusk that were jumping out of the water in the shallows and nothing was really eating them it seemed. We thought we got into some top water action as there were fish breaking the water everywhere in Cedar Creek off the Big arm. Turned out to be big gar gulping air.

-- Jim