Pontoon or Kayak

• Members

Well long story. I have been trying to get the right boat for years.

I have built two (uh midlife crisis or loss of sanity?) one is a small punt and the other a larger john-boat style 16 footer. I still want a small personal fishing boat for hitting the ponds up in northern MO when I am alone and maybe don't want to fish from the shore.

I did have a bad experience with a pontoon. Before I even got it into the water the darn thing had a leak. Took it back to the conglomo outdoors store in KC, which will remain nameless, and traded it on another toy.

My question for you fly-rodders out there is should I get a pontoon or a kayak. Been researching and it seems like they both have advantages.

Pontoons might be more stable and anchorable, whereas kayaks can cover large distances with minimal effort.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Kayak. Sit on top style for fishing. You sit up higher and can see better. You can also get in and out better. You don't have to chase fish around inside of it either. Wilderness system or Ocean Kayak make great ones. 12' to 14' range is perfect. Lots more durable than pontoons, easier to paddle. You can rig an anchor system on a kayak in still water. I have been using my 2 yaks for 3 years floating streams and accessing MDC ponds that you can't get a real boat too. Works great for duck hunting also.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

As you said, both have their advantages. Kayaks don't seem to be stable enough for my old fat body... But if I were to get one, I'd look very close at the Hobie... Steve at BDS should chime in on the Hobies...

I've fished a couple of pontoons and like them. My purchase will be a pontoon for myself, but that's just my preference due to versatility, stability (for me), and would fit what I would want one for....

TIGHT LINES, YA'LL

"There he stands, draped in more equipment than a telephone lineman, trying to outwit an organism with a brain no bigger than a breadcrumb, and getting licked in the process." - Paul O’Neil

i agree w/jdmidwest. kayak. i have a tarpon120 (wilderness) and love it. before buying i tried the sit inside and the sit on top models, and liked the SOT better as i found it easier to get in and out of. they can be anchored - i have a friend that does that. i also tried a pontoon, it was ok, but i didn't find it as manuverable as a yak. fly line & fish kept getting caught in the oars. very annoying.....

Hey Charley,

I guess it depends on what kind of fishing you want to do - but I can tell you a few years ago I bought a kayak - and it was maybe the best gear purchase I ever made. Fact is you can just get more places with a kayak. I am always going back through the trees of a small flooded lake around here and other boats can't get back that far (but the bass can) ;)

I have a 9 1/2 foot perception - it is actually pretty wide and very stable. Downside is that there is not a ton of room to carry stuff with you - but I have a small box with what I need and fish mostly with an ultra light or the fly rod from there anyway so don't need tons of gear. The shorter boat is really easy to manuever in tight spaces - and have had it on ozark rivers as well as rivers and lakes in Montana. I MUCH prefer it to a belly boat for fishing, provided you can get close enough to drop it in - but at only 38 pounds you can lug it a little ways if you have to.

I like to fish alone - and I like the peace and quiet side of fishing - my one friend who I go with sometimes likes his big boat and throwing big loud lures and that side of fishing - which is still fun - but for me when I can slowly paddle right up alongside a bunch of turtles on a limb or get within a few feet of a heron and watch him fish - then that is a bonus, and really why I'm there in the first place. And the kayak will definitely get you there. And catching 3 to 4 pound bass on a topwater on an ultra light in a kayak is about as much fun as a person needs to have in this life anyway.

So if you like the peace and serenity of being outdoors - I would go for a yak - plus they are so inexpensive you can't really go wrong.

JS

"We are living in the midst of a Creation that is mostly mysterious - that even when visible, is never fully imaginable".

-Wendell Berry-

It really depends on what type of fishing you do. Sit on Top yaks are great, very fast, very stable..I've stood and fished from my friends Tarpon 120, but I'd recommend sitting down, LOL. Plus you just toss them in the water and your fishing. Pontoons are great for fast moving water, and they work well on still water with a trolling motor, but the downside is that you usually end up messing around with the toon for 15-20 minutes before you get in the water. Cheers.

I have a Tarpon 120 and a Pamlico 100, and an

Outcast 800 pontoon, if I were heading to north Missouri to fish small waters, I'd leave the kayaks at home. :D

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

When I was at the BPS Outlet in Springfield, Mo. earlier this month they had the Hobie Cat Fisherman on sale for about $1000.00 it has the little wings on the bottom that you can power it but foot pedals.

Respect your Environment and others right to use it!

I have used both many times. I use the Kayak's down in Texas when I go and visit my son who lives down there. We fish Red Fish and Sea Trout with them on the flats. They are great for moving fast or in the wind. But do get tiring on the back after some time. Even with a back rest. Bt I would not have anyhting different when fishing down there. It is a hoot.

For rivers and small ponds I like a Pontoon. Just amke sure you get a good one. If you are willing to spend the money you can even put an Electric motor on them and they work great. They are real comfortable to use all day long and you can bring all the gear you will need for a days fishing. Heck you can even bring your dog if you like LOL. I have both and I also have 4 float tubes and yes they have a place to. If the wind comes up the float tube will let you fish were the pontoon boat will not be controable at all.

My son's bought three Kayaks and they stay down in Texas. They are all set up with rod holders, coolers, fish finders and everything. Mine was a fathers day gift some years ago. From my daughter and two son's. \

Having been an outfitter for many years the float tubes and pontoon boats were used in my work and were for the clients. Just my opinion. But there is no perfect boat. For what you discribe I would go with the Pontoon baot and be very happy. Ron

• Members

Thanks to all who replied I still haven't decided, but the advice does help.

This reminds me of a situation I had a few years back when I was wanting to purchase a new rifle. Both were nice. I just could not decide. So I finally turned to my buddies for advice. One my good friends said something I will never forget.

"Hart does it really matter which gun you buy?"

"Huh? What do you mean?"

"What I mean is, it DOES NOT MATTER since you will buy them both eventually!"

I thought for a moment then smiled. darn it if he wasn't right!