Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

Im heading to empire park on Saturday morning, but wanted to try and catch a walleye below powersite. I understand the water level is very low, and wanted to know if there were any good bank fishing spots that would be worth a shot between powersite and barkers hole?

If so, where...and what would be the best approach; stick bait, worm, swimming minnow, jig?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Root Admin

Best thing to do is go during the day to get the lay of the land. Look for eddies - key in walleye fishing. These areas will differ as to water release, which you want. Either side would be good. Fish within 1/4 mile of the day- I'd think the best.

Locals keep this area and techniques close to their vest... and I don't blame them. It's an excellent fishery for all kinds of fish and it can get crowded easy. That's why I don't personally report everything I hear about it... so when I do mention fishing is good there, you should take note!

And it has been good. I think this walleye winter season will be the best in recent years.

Lilleys Landing logo 150.jpg

Best thing to do is go during the day to get the lay of the land. Look for eddies - key in walleye fishing. These areas will differ as to water release, which you want. Either side would be good. Fish within 1/4 mile of the day- I'd think the best.

Locals keep this area and techniques close to their vest... and I don't blame them. It's an excellent fishery for all kinds of fish and it can get crowded easy. That's why I don't personally report everything I hear about it... so when I do mention fishing is good there, you should take note!

And it has been good. I think this walleye winter season will be the best in recent years.

I appreciate the insight, and letttin me know a "pocket" on the vest ;-) I probably fished that forsyth 30+ times last year, mostly for White bass. I know the locals swear by a certain type lure, that I happened to have 0 luck with...BUT! I did find my own trick for them rascally whites, and was able to swap some fishing secrets with a few of the locals and found it very valuable and very understandable (to your point) as to why people don't like to share their tackle box techniques as freely. Lst spring/summer I walked away with more notches in my belt for white bass catches than I did in previous years and in comparison to other locations. Forsyth has become one of my favorite areas, mostly because of combined quality and short drive for me from Springfield.

I will let you know how I do with the eyes this weekend :-)

Tight Lines!

Apparently I've been missing out on some walleye fishing this winter. I usually wait till mid February to start, but this isn't the first time I've heard of a good bite. I would of thought with this low water, that the fishing would of been slower. I look forward to your report. And there are a few good spots to fish from. Some of my favorite are on the Forsyth side of the lake. And don't forget to post your success or failure! It helps us all when we share our reports.