Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

I was told second hand that a party gigging in that area said they've been seeing more 10+ pound walleye from Barker to the dam - more than they've ever seen.

Take it for what it is... second hand.

I think I need to take my buddies gigging boat down there just to find out where them walleye are hanging out at. I wonder if there's a lot of suckers up there. Anybody know?

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bitethis how did your trip go? :)

'Bout the same as WayneSW/MO...i couldn't throw a rock to skip accross the water without it nose diving on gravel peeking above the surface. I went to barkers hole for about 90 mins, fished rock bluff...it was deep enough to throw a flicka'shad without scraping bottom. Threw a shad collored thin fin, black/silver jerk, copper/black jerk, white swimming minnow, chart swimming minnow, and white/silver inline-spinner. Nothing.

tried about 1/2 miled down from powersite, on powersite side, same presentations...nothing. Much more shallow there though, like 4-5' maybe, and I think I just found a good hole. I had fun flexing my fishing muscles though, and the weather was nice enough, bit cold in the morning. I fished from 7-11am al together.

I keep hearing "jerkbaits" for walleye, but hardly ever suggestions on color, size, or style. I was just curious what size/color seems to work? I was considering getting some husky-jerks or X-raps (affordable for me), but don't know which sizes/colors I should throw. Big, medium, small? Bright, natural, white? Do rattles make a difference? I'm going to be fishing clear or stained water locally, in a river, if that helps.

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

I keep hearing "jerkbaits" for walleye, but hardly ever suggestions on color, size, or style. I was just curious what size/color seems to work? I was considering getting some husky-jerks or X-raps (affordable for me), but don't know which sizes/colors I should throw. Big, medium, small? Bright, natural, white? Do rattles make a difference? I'm going to be fishing clear or stained water locally, in a river, if that helps.

You are going to get 15 answers to this questions, as you would with most "what should i use" type questions. So I will give you what I have had success with. I have read, and experienced success with, this rule with color (Specific to walley): "Walley can see blak, red, orange, chartuese contrasts best" However, I think the most important question you didn't ask about was action desired of the jerkbait in comparison to water temp/season

1. Subtle Action : "Early Spring and Late Fall when water temperature is 50 degress and under, subtle action baits are most successful these are classfied as straight minnow type crank baits.)
  2. Moderate Action: " As the water temperature increases during late spring into early summer to 50 to 60 degrees it’s time for moderate action. The moderate action lures will have a slightly deep diving lip, sporting a curved body profile to enhance the action."
  3. High Action: "When the water temperature reaches 70 degrees and above during the mid summer peak, it’s time to think aggressive as the walleye feeding and its metabolism rate is peaking, high action crankbaits are the best choice"

I think to best answer your question, you be best off looking at this website: http://www.walleye411.com/fishing-for-walleyes-using-crankbaits/

which is where I got the information on action. This should give you a more intuitive place to start looking for "best jerkbait size and color".

Hope this helps, good luck!

I was more looking at "rapala, rogue, or 'super-$$$$$ bass bait'" or some brand I'm unfamiliar with. I've always used husky jerks for bass/crappie in the winter in the blue/silver, but walleye are different... I know white and subtle naturals are best for the sunfish in winter, but I didn't know if MO walleye had a similar temperature-dependent color preference.

WARNING!! Comments to be interpreted at own risk.

Time spent fishing is never wasted.

I was more looking at "rapala, rogue, or 'super-$$$$$ bass bait'" or some brand I'm unfamiliar with. I've always used husky jerks for bass/crappie in the winter in the blue/silver, but walleye are different... I know white and subtle naturals are best for the sunfish in winter, but I didn't know if MO walleye had a similar temperature-dependent color preference.

At powersite, I have good luck with Rogues, blk/orange. I like the floating because the water there is more shallow, but suspending if in open water. 4.1/2" works for me. I have also had luck with blk/chro, and firetiger. hope this helps.

At stockton, I really like bomber crank baits in fire tiger. I caught a nice 7.5lb in nov on that. Lipless cranks work well for me too in late summer early fall, experiment with colors ;-)Cant give away all my tackle tips.

I can tell you what is popular at the pothole. Rogues in blk/org, Firetiger, and clown seem to be very common. This is just an observation on my part.

It is early for the spawning run and I would question whether it's worth fishing if they aren't running water. One can check the generating schedule at TR to see if they are running any water. It takes about 4 hours for it to get to Powesite and they have to run it out because Taney has no holding capacity.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

My best color of Rogue is purple back, gold belly. They're hard to find sometimes. I do just as well on purple sliders with a jighead. This is all night time fishing by the way. The oldtimers down there I've noticed use a lot of plain bone white rogues with a red treble hook. I've picked up a couple on the bank and will be trying these this year.

:secret-laugh: Banjo Minnow in purple, black, or dark blue is all I ever use fore them Vonreed. Will try a slider next trip though.

DONT EVER GIVE UP MOSES WAS A BASKET CASE ONCE!