Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

there are only three walleye baits in my box, some might think it limits me but I have found them to be the most consistant producers, Flicker shad, Keitehs and Rapala SR models. The flickers are running about 4 bucks each the keitechs around a 1.50 each and the rapalas running up to 8 bucks. Nothing high price but very effective for catching them on artificial. Bait i like chubs or shad. Never been a fan of crawlers for some reason.

Its getting close to that time of year they should be running up the rivers and i cant wait.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone ever try using the new Berkley Havoc Sick fish? It comes in like 5 colors, 4" long. I was wondering about throwing on a stand up jigging and working it slow on the bottom like a grub? Thoughts? Think it could/would be effective? Maybe use some berkley shad scent on it?

Here is the link...http://www.basspro.com/Berkley-Havoc-Sick-Fish-Swimbaits/product/12052509153041/

Berkley-Havoc-Sickfish-2T.jpg?1342010029

I've been using paddle tail swimbaits on heavy football heads for years now with great results :)

dude, if you want some killer "scent" try KVD fish sticks ! This stuff is the best shad and crawfish scent I have ever used!

It's not the cheapest, but a tube lasts a really, really, really long time. My last tubes lasted almost 5 months and I fish quite a bit.

Only draw back is the stuff melts when it's 115 in the summer !

I hear guys using these swimming minnows, or 3-4" plastic fry, and placing them on football jigs or heavier jigs. This concept is kinda new to me, do you just bounce it along the bottome real slow?

Also, heard the fish sticks are B.A....ever try berkly walleye scent?

Report for 1/28/13: I used rogues and RC Sticks from 9am-430pm. I fished primarily barkers hole. I fished for 90 mins about 1/4mi up from the boat launch in in Shadow Rock. They were running water for a bit, so moved up to just below the dam on powersite side. Only fished these 3 places...not even 1 bite. I ran into a few others that claimed they were not catching anything either...was very disappointed.

Report for 1/28/13: I used rogues and RC Sticks from 9am-430pm. I fished primarily barkers hole. I fished for 90 mins about 1/4mi up from the boat launch in in Shadow Rock. They were running water for a bit, so moved up to just below the dam on powersite side. Only fished these 3 places...not even 1 bite. I ran into a few others that claimed they were not catching anything either...was very disappointed.

That's disappointing. But thanks for the report. I'm thinking around Beaver Creek this year might be the best fishing till they start spawning. But I do know whites and walleye can be caught up in the park area before the crowds start coming. The last year the water was real low 2006? maybe, I done real well before anybody ever caught on that there were fish around.

Unlike Bry we are not catching them on tipped jigs, minnows or creek chubs. Even one of our favorites the swimming minnow is really not producing anything.

Even against the live bait the suspending stickbaits for the locations we are fishing on upper bull are just slaughtering everything else.

Maybe this is bad info on my part, and we are doing something wrong and should be catching more fish on another method that is not so painful to fish. And believe me this is painful and slow . Right now we are coming to the ramp with more and bigger walleye than anyone out there, but I am more than willing to change. If Berkley gulp in goby is working better. I just happen to have some. Usually live bait also preforms well, but for us right now,it has been the sticker. I will for sure give the glup a shot though.

I'm at a convention right now, but just got a text from Buster showing 5 keeps, up to 7 pounds yesterday. I already told you all how we are catching them.

Tks and good luck

We have not done nearly so well from the Barker hole up. It is usually one of our favorites, but 100% of our fish have came from below Barker clear down past K dock. Got to believe it should be about to break loose up there though. When you start seeing creek chub fisherman on the flats above Barker you will know they are there.

What are the best 3 colors for walleye jerkbaits & crankbaits?

Ive read a few infisherman articles that say bright colors like chrt, lime green, pink, orange.

Do walleye bite these bright colors in daylight hours in clear water?

I've got a spot at another fishery that was loaded with big walleye schools last Feb.

I didnt know how to catch them or what they were at the time.

I showed the hummingbird image to a friend and he pulls out a photo of a 14lb walleye caught on a jerkbait in that same hole during the timeframe.

Its a big deep pool under a huge bluff, where the lake meets the river. If that makes any sense.

Maybe, I need to dedicate myself to walleyes until the crappie get shallow in April.

Thanks for all the fine info on this site.

TrophyFishR,

for crankbaits I like the Rapala Glass shads. They reflect a variety of colors because of their highly reflective insides. They are a real killer for walleye!!!! There were 2 FLW walleye tournaments on BS won using glass shads if I remeber correctly. GPS,GPSF, and GBK are my fav's. Probably the best post spawn walleye crankbait imo. We start the year by just long line trolling or casting these baits, as the water warms and the fish move deeper we use lead core lines.

My Dad saw me waxing some of my crankbaits and jerkbaits the other day. He just laughed. I told him when I wax/polish my lures the finish lasts a lot longer and makes them lime resistant ,and more reflective. I use a spray on car detailer, Meguires. The wax smell goes away soon after and your baits shine like never before and resist lime water spots. :) After I finish polishing my lures I hit my rods and reels with the stuff, just adds some protection from the elements, and keeps you gear looking "fresh".

I will lose my lure long before it starts getting lime....usually through hang up or snag. Interesting concept though, I like the idea of doing that to my Rod and reels. Thanks for the tip!! I will have to try the Glass shads too, /nod!