Jika Rig

inshore

I LOVE the jika rig. So simple, so effective and it flat out works. Just an improvement on the texas rig IMO. Instead of "pegging" the bullet weight on a texas rig you have the jika where the weight is directly attached and I feel it has better action and come's through cover a lot better and also hops better on the bottom like a jig would. Another somewhat pain in the butt sometimes can be threading the line into the bullet weight at night, especially if you get that weight where at the tapered/cone end the hole has been pinched a little bit...jika you don't have that. Dave thanks for the kudo's but I certainly didn't invent it. I just saw the jika rig made by Owner and said to myself "Ummm that is $7.00 bucks for 2 made up rigs that has an EWG offset hook attached to basically a mojo style weight using a split ring???? I can make probably 10 of those myself for $5". So that is what I did with just a bell sinker of different sizes, split ring and gammy/owner hooks. UBER EASY! I have a whole bunch of 1/4-1/2oz bullet weights for sale if anyone is interested...hahaha.

Doc Seger's Jinka rig from last fall uses bell sinker with salt water split rings and 2/0 or 4/0 Gamagatsu super line worm hook (has a bigger eye to allow split ring to move around) attach spli ring to hook and bell sinker to split ring or a second split ring to first and put the weight on the second split ring and he used a Beaver or River Bug or a Chompers Salty Sinker Watermelon Candy Or Chompers 6" dark melon pepper Lizard. I replaced the second split ring with a #3 fast lock snap , easier for me to change sinker size (arthritis). Stacy used the rig on the Bass Pros 2 weeks ago on the Outdoor Channel so it will repeated many times the rest of the year. I think the big advantage to this rig is that you can throw it any where and it you can fish it out without losing it much better than a jig or even a Texas rigged worm.

I LOVE the jika rig. So simple, so effective and it flat out works. Just an improvement on the texas rig IMO. Instead of "pegging" the bullet weight on a texas rig you have the jika where the weight is directly attached and I feel it has better action and come's through cover a lot better and also hops better on the bottom like a jig would. Another somewhat pain in the butt sometimes can be threading the line into the bullet weight at night, especially if you get that weight where at the tapered/cone end the hole has been pinched a little bit...jika you don't have that. Dave thanks for the kudo's but I certainly didn't invent it. I just saw the jika rig made by Owner and said to myself "Ummm that is $7.00 bucks for 2 made up rigs that has an EWG offset hook attached to basically a mojo style weight using a split ring???? I can make probably 10 of those myself for $5". So that is what I did with just a bell sinker of different sizes, split ring and gammy/owner hooks. UBER EASY! I have a whole bunch of 1/4-1/2oz bullet weights for sale if anyone is interested...hahaha.

I started my post above before yours and had to leave the room for a while wasn't try ing to walk on your post. Did you have much luck swimming it?

I started my post above before yours and had to leave the room for a while wasn't try ing to walk on your post. Did you have much luck swimming it?

No worries, didn't take it as "walking" on my post. I haven't tried swimming it at this point. I just use it in the typical texas rig or jig type of presentations....crawling and hoping it. I did rig a 6" Luck E Stike Magic Shad hollow belly swimbait jika style with a big Trokar 7/0 swimbait hook and swim that but I think the weight not being attached to the shank of the hook or stationary like a jighead kinda killed the action of the paddle tail and I don't think it is the best option for swimming swimbaits. The weight wants to wobble because of the wobble of the paddle tail and it just didn't look or feel right to me. It might be okay if you did kind of a flutter spoon type of action with the swimbait jika style ripping it up off the bottom and letting it sink back to the bottom on semi-slack line. I dunno, will have to play around with it more.

No worries, didn't take it as "walking" on my post. I haven't tried swimming it at this point. I just use it in the typical texas rig or jig type of presentations....crawling and hoping it. I did rig a 6" Luck E Stike Magic Shad hollow belly swimbait jika style with a big Trokar 7/0 swimbait hook and swim that but I think the weight not being attached to the shank of the hook or stationary like a jighead kinda killed the action of the paddle tail and I don't think it is the best option for swimming swimbaits. The weight wants to wobble because of the wobble of the paddle tail and it just didn't look or feel right to me. It might be okay if you did kind of a flutter spoon type of action with the swimbait jika style ripping it up off the bottom and letting it sink back to the bottom on semi-slack line. I dunno, will have to play around with it more.

I noticed when I swam it it didn't spin like a texas rigged bait might. I think the sinker hanging below the hook acts as a keel. I plan to spend a lot of time fishing it this year maybe to the point of only taking it with me in my boat. That was how I yers ago learned how to fish the texas rig worms in the late 60's and the wacky worm in 99.

• Members

Im intrigued by this rig and can't wait to try it with a smallie beaver.

Cabelas in St Louis has the owner tungsten version on sale (couple bucks off)

Tacklewarehouse has a tungsten weight made by picasso...expensive but I prefer the feel and smaller relative weight size. The weights are cylinder shaped with a mat black finish and I m goin to give them a overcoat of green pumpkin. Plus the weights have a large line tie ring so they will work well with the split ring.

They must be poplular weights because they were sold out but had a shipment due in shortly.