deleted

You'll never get everybody to agree on bed fishing.

On one hand, in most places where smallmouth spawn there will most certainly be small predators waiting to go in and take some eggs or fry during the time the guarding male is off the nest. And even if the male is immediately released, he will be tired and less able to defend the nest for a while. I don't there is any doubt that eggs and fry on any nest where the male is taken, even momentarily, suffer.

On the other hand, multiple studies have always shown that there are far more fry produced than is necessary to keep the population stable. So while you're making it really difficult for the fry on the nests where you're fishing, you're probably not doing much, if any, damage to the overall population.

On the third hand :) ...what is true with light to moderate angling pressure might not be true with heavy pressure. For instance, the fish of a given bay of Lake Superior have a limited space in which to spawn, so they all spawn in the same area. They may spread out over many square miles of lake afterwards, but during the spawn they are concentrated. Put a whole bunch of anglers pounding them during he spawn, and it might just be a little different than, for instance, on Table Rock Lake, where there are a whole lot of spawning habitat spread out over the whole lake.

The proof is in the pudding (however that old saying got started), though...I suppose that as long as you're not seeing the population dropping, apparently fishing the spawn is okay.

You'll never get everybody to agree on bed fishing.

On one hand, in most places where smallmouth spawn there will most certainly be small predators waiting to go in and take some eggs or fry during the time the guarding male is off the nest. And even if the male is immediately released, he will be tired and less able to defend the nest for a while. I don't there is any doubt that eggs and fry on any nest where the male is taken, even momentarily, suffer.

On the other hand, multiple studies have always shown that there are far more fry produced than is necessary to keep the population stable. So while you're making it really difficult for the fry on the nests where you're fishing, you're probably not doing much, if any, damage to the overall population.

On the third hand :) ...what is true with light to moderate angling pressure might not be true with heavy pressure. For instance, the fish of a given bay of Lake Superior have a limited space in which to spawn, so they all spawn in the same area. They may spread out over many square miles of lake afterwards, but during the spawn they are concentrated. Put a whole bunch of anglers pounding them during he spawn, and it might just be a little different than, for instance, on Table Rock Lake, where there are a whole lot of spawning habitat spread out over the whole lake.

The proof is in the pudding (however that old saying got started), though...I suppose that as long as you're not seeing the population dropping, apparently fishing the spawn is okay.

A change of heart there Al? You used to be a staunch advocate against fishing the beds. You seem to be waffling abit.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

Not waffling, just seeing both sides. I personally wouldn't do it on purpose, but I don't fool myself into believing that I never catch a bedding fish. They do come up to whack topwaters, too, and you can't predict with certainty where they'll be bedding. Just because I don't seek out the beds and drop tubes into them doesn't mean I'm leaving bedding fish completely alone. I just try to minimize it. And a lot like you, it's more of a matter of my own ethics than it is purely a conservation stance.

I harbor no illusion that bedding Bass are occasionally caught by me and others.

The difference here is, this man specifically and blatantly targeted smallmouth guarding nests. And wears this accomplishment like a badge of honor. Huge difference with what you were talking about.

And that is not to say that he is a good or bad fisherman or person. I just strongly disagree with those ethics. I am sure he is a great man personally and I would be more than happy to fish with him too.

Chief Grey Bear

Living is dangerous to your health

Owner Ozark Fishing Expeditions

Co-Owner, Chief Executive Product Development Team Jerm Werm

Executive Pro Staff Team Agnew

Executive Pro Staff Paul Dallas Productions

Executive Pro Staff Team Heddon, River Division

Chief Primary Consultant Missouri Smallmouth Alliance

Executive Vice President Ronnie Moore Outdoors

I'll try to help you out Andy... Here are my 2 biggest from 2013. I haven't even fished yet in 2014 and it's killing me!!!!! Chasing green bass this weekend but it won't even remotely satisfy my needs like the Smallies do...

post-830-0-78329900-1395955102_thumb.jpg

post-830-0-88980000-1395955130.jpg

Mosmallies, those are some beauties for sure. Did you measure or weigh them?

The 1st one was a little over 18" and was just as fat and healthy as can be. The 2nd one was right at 17.5". Both great fighters! Didn't weigh either one.

Killer. I swear there is nothing more fun than watching those big ones eat those WTD baits.

I couldn't agree more.... This particular fish hit the Zip n Ziggy about 5 feet in front of me. I walked that bait back for 40 yds and not a sniff, and then out of nowhere she smashed it right at the end of the retrieve. Scared the crap out of me!