School's Out!

rps

Friday was my last teaching day until August. Sunday was the first day I could celebrate by being on the lake. I started before 6 and found the water rise and weather had changed things. Instead of a n easy top water bite, I had to work. The places I fished (up river from Holiday Island) did not have aggressive fish. Not one fish hit a walked bait. They wanted a twitch/small chug. None were large.

Some whites exploded around me, but they too disdained my top water. Their forage was 2 inch bait fish, and they didn't seem to want anything larger. Only caught two. Since things were so odd, I decided to skip fishing soft plastics. I went straight to walleye fishing. First I tried trolling I put a Flickr Shad under the bait fish at 9 and at 14 feet. Nada. I tried Lindy rigging night crawlers at 10 to 18 feet. Nada.

Finally, around 10:30, I began to fish one of my chartreuse crawler harnesses. I found them at 10 feet on a sandy/gravel inside bend moving at 1.1 to 1.4 mph. 10 walleye, 1 channel cat, 4 bass, and 3 bluegill before I quit at 2:. I long distance released 2 other walleyes. Two of the walleye were barely keepers but all the rest were over 15 inches.

One of those not great days, but can't complain.

Thanks for the report! Enjoy the break.

I have the 10th & 11th off, intend to drown some worms 'round there if nothing else comes up. Arkansas River catfish might win the coin toss though, just depends on the water & weather.

I can't dance like I used to.

@kjackson: I have not built a bead only spinner in three years. I use float beads and a size 1 or 1/0 worm hook. I rig the crawler Texas style even though it squirms.

Randy-- that sounds like you're using the same pattern as the old Lindy Fuzz-E-Spin. That had a flocked (to hold scent better) float and used a Tru-Turn worm hook. It worked great..thanks for the info. If it ever stops raining, I'll give it a shot.