What Do You See?

Cindyjo

First a fishing report. Fall fishing remains excellent. Although I have been out many times since my last report, Monday was the best one to report on. Fished for 2.5hrs. Caught 12 lmb and 2 white bass. The reason to report on Mondays results is the ratio of keepers. Of the 12 bass only two were NOT keepers. The largest on was just over 17". I have noticed as the year progresses, and compared to last year, the bass size keeps improving. Not sure why this is, and it is not very scientific, but it remains my impression. All were caught on a 1/4oz and 3/8oz spoon. Another factor might be related to last year I caught most of the bass on a road runner. This year the first choice is the spoon.

I realize many members are fairly new at reading sonar. With this in mind you will find attached two pics. The first one shows baitfish, game fish feeding, depth and temp. The game fish are bass. Before you look at the second pic, study the1st one. See what other information you can see in the photo. Can you see what I see? If you study it closely you will notice gray layers, and yellow layers in the pic. The gray is the solid bottom. The reason for the layering is the boat is directly over a ledge. The reason for the layering is the cone angle of the transducer is picking up these various layers. That is why there is an abundance of fish in this area. The second pic is when i move the boat only approx. 20' further from this spot. Then you can clearly see the drop off. This is important to be able to discern in the 1st pic. When you see a pic like the 1st one it is likely you will find fish. I will generally move away from this position 30 to 60' and then begin casting. I find more fish are caught with the lure moving as horizontal as possible, rather than vertical. I believe this is because this is the natural direction of baitfish. Vertical will certainly catch fish. It just that horizontal catches more fish.

I you see something I have missed in the 1st pic please comment. I would also like to learn more.

Till next time

Cindyjo

post-12848-0-43569300-1383134298.jpg

post-12848-0-42502000-1383134345.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What you don't see in a shot like that is the fish that are tight to the vertical stucture. They're actually shown, but they're buried in the "bottom" junk. That's one example where an old flasher in experienced hands can outshine the modern tech.

I can't dance like I used to.

• Members

Thanks for posting!

Bfishin is talking about the bottom picture..

Yep.

... There may be more fish located in that "fuzz" right off the edge of the ledge..

... some that you absolutely can't "see" in the 'shadow' of the dropoff, unless... you're slowly moving directly at the drop from the deep. Then, even the hiders show up on the rising leading edge. Feathery, but there.

Nice positioning and pictures Cindyjo. I think you might really enjoy an underwater camera view when you get on 'em like that. :-)

Great info here! I agree with bfishn. It takes more time, but scoping a dropoff at strict 90-degree angles gives the best possible detail--far more than you'd get by moving diagonally (it shortens up the signal range, and eliminates a lot of the shadow). Take your time, work your transducer back and forth over the drop until you've identified the really good stuff, then drop a marker and start catchin'!

Yeah, as much as we whine about rec boaters pranks, I have to wonder what they think of my deliberate S-pattern? :-)

(Shameless plug follows) I cut my teeth on sonar 35 years ago testing old stockpile samples of sub-seeking munition sonar. They ran on RCA vacuum tubes and a mag vynyl tape drive, and they were freakin' awesome. I'd love to have one today, and go ping up some silver carp sometime.

They had an expected shelf life of 40 years, but an actual use life of far less than the 3 minutes of tape. The ones I checked were ~20 years old, not a one missed a beat. Ever.

Now that I told you, I'll have to kill you. Ha! I ain't movin' to Russia.

The stuff we use is the finesse version, but it works the same.

Thanks for that post, CindyJo. We are finally getting out to wet a line and your post is very helpful. I'm glad I made some smaller spoons.