Another Day Another Duck

BilletHead

After a much needed break yesterday I needed another fix. Did find more birds on another place plus a bunch of geese. There are two ponds/irrigation lakes side by side a bit staggered. While checking them out yesterday afternoon one was covered with geese and a few ducks. This water is again right next to corn stubble non disked and drilled into wheat. Geese were in the field too when I checked. There is a grass strip where I could drive right up to where I wanted to be. No to this morning. Another foggy, real foggy morning. Got unloaded and set up. A dozen goose floaters and one and a half dozen duck floaters. Did two dozen full bodies geese working the way out from pond into field. I was pretty happy with the set up. Seemed like it took forever to see some light to appear but could not see far because of fog. Soon I could hear ducks flying and then see them in and out of the fog. There was a group of five that tried to land in the corn stubble. Then some worked the decoys. First a mallard hen then a bull sprig! He had about a four inch tail. Got them picked up and then a green wing teal drake. The shooting flushed the geese that had roosted in the adjacent pond, of course the winged off to the West. So foggy I could not see them but heard them go. Sun started peeking out so I took a couple of photos of the first three ducks. Then I heard geese coming back. Ignored me and my set up and pitched back into the other pond. Soon a pair of gadwall came in and went down. I quit with the five. Not sure about tomorrow, should hunt before the big chill. Ice maybe, snow maybe and then 8 degrees Friday night. Pictures from today did not get the gadwall feathered but did clean. Speaking of, look at the fat! The pintail was fat was white and gadwall fat yellow. Hen mallard pretty much no fat but the green wing had white fat,

BilletHead

post-8405-0-61467000-1386106109.jpg

post-8405-0-67126900-1386106120.jpg

post-8405-0-87700200-1386106133.jpg

post-8405-0-93931300-1386106147.jpg

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

First Bull ive seen this year with an actual sprig. I would hunt at all cost tomorrow Marty Then next 5 days after it looks horrible for small water and roads look to be dangerous.

Hey we finally got to try your BBQ Sauce, Wife says BEG you for more next year best she has ever had and I second that. Tasted great on Steak last night and on Scaup sandwiches today.

Thanks John P. Scott whatever I do in the morning if I go it needs to be an easy hunt like this morning, that or I need a grunt. I could go to the same place just sit looking opposite way with the wind change. Have another lake that would be good but wind change would have me smelling pig barn all morning, yuk! Jus let me know too when you get close to the BilletHead area and I will fix you up with sauce.

BilletHead

Also that is my first pintail that was carrying a sprig like that. All of my others were young.

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead

Marty, that's a deal. South zone is open and we might need to hook up at my honey hole spot. Or you really need to get down here and try big water I bet I could talk ducky into another trip also.

Nice birds Marty!

Scott,

Im thinking about heading down your way on Friday. You gonna be available and able to brave the elements? If it is not too bad, I will be picking up Mona Chari's daughter in Fayetteville around 2 in the afternoon.

It does not take much to twist my arm.

A Little Rain Won't Hurt Them Fish.....They're Already Wet!!

Visit my website at..

Ozark Trout Runners

gallery4a082cb0bdef6.jpg

Need to see how the roads are Duane, Call me before you head out I'll let you know if its safe. They are talking maybe an inch of ice (praying they are wrong) but if its true you better stay home those roads will be deadly. If not my arm is officially twisted oh it hurts it hurts oh the agony :)