Larry's

skilch

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laker I haven't talked to Charley in close to 25 years. We were friends at one time and I'll just leave it at that.

I've known him, Ed and Kay since Springview had a view of the spring. I still have good feelings about Ed and Kay, like everyone who knows them I think.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

• Members

Crap, sorry to hear that about Larry's. Years ago we did stay at the hotel across the Niagua but I wasn't impressed.

Please let me know if you hear anything about the long term concerning Larry's-whether the resort is closed permanently or not.

The Sands has changed owners, but I don't know exactly when and whether you stayed with the new or the old. During the season I would trust Vogel's if they still own it.

The rooms at Sand Springs have been remodeled over the last year or two. It's not the Conrad Hilton but is certainly a clean and comfortable place at a reasonable cost. They also have wi-fi now.

Last summer when I was in Larry's, Kelly was there. We talked about size of fish etc. and how it was hurting the economy He was very frank about how things were going down hill since the new Hatchery Manager came around. I'm not suprised because the shelves were empty and his attitude was in the dumps! It has to hurt knowing that your dad ran an operation for so long and you can't take it over to keep the family legacy alive. I feel for them.

I will miss Larry's. When my Dixie (Brittany) was around I use to take her in the shop to let Larry love on her. We would share our Pheasant hunting stories and talk about out dogs.

Life goes on regardless.

blue line.png

I drove by there Wednesday and there was no indication of any changes. The signs were still up, even the office sign. I didn't drive into the lot at the store. ??????

I would like to think that larry's closing is just a rumor and not accurate info. He has been a fixture at the park for a long long time. How long has he been there Wayne? I could not say for sure.

I believe sometime in the mid 60's. Their place and Vogels on the river represented the park very well. Lot's of camping close to the stream so kids could have some freedom and the experience that went with it along with comfortable lodging for those who didn't camp. It was truly a family park then. The change to a more resort setting started with Sam Welch, the park super and Jim Rogers, his buddy.

One of the best campgrounds for the fly fisherman was above the spring along the creek. It was shaded with big cottonwoods and you could walk to the stream in the morning. There was another across the Whistle Bridge that allowed people to fish the zone 2 and 3 without turning a key.