topo maps of the Buffalo

Thanks so much. I saw those online at Amazon and Barnes & Noble. I went to B&N last night but they did not have it in the store. Online I believe they call it a trail map and that left me a bit skeptical. I still like to hold things in my hand before I buy them. If you like them I'll go ahead and buy online. 

It'll be my first attempt at floating the entire river. I may be a bit over my head but I've spent months planning so on paper it looks great.  :unsure:  If the weather cooperates I should be fine. 

Maybe we should get a group of OAF members to plan a trip next year or maybe in the fall.  Mine will mostly be solo but company is always welcome. 

Thanks Phil. Definitely helpful. I'll print them for reference.  I'd still like to find topo maps. The topo lines give me a good idea on what to expect and help me identify where I am with or without names. 

I found what appeared to be a complete set of topo maps here http://www.buffaloriverchamber.com/river_maps_top.html#axzz459Xw7MS9

Unfortunately at least one is mislabeled and the Dillard's ferry area is missing. 

bnrmap15.jpg Upper Ponca.jpg

Yep, doing screen captures from Google Earth works well. There are also online topo map sources that you can do screen captures. The one I like best is Topoquest--great coverage, a lot of different zoom levels, and the screen captures aren't bad. It's nice working in Photoshop a lot like I do; I can zoom in on the screen captures and then stitch together several of the captures, then reduce them in size to sharpen the topo lines and allow them to fit on one page. I have some waterproof paper to print them on. Do the Google Earth captures and the topo captures and you will be able to see every gravel bar, big log in the water, deep pool--and tell how high the bluffs are. A lot of the coverage on Google Earth these days is from photos taken in winter or early spring when the water is fairly low and very clear, so you can really see exactly where deep water is, where the riffles are (or were at the time the photos were taken). And even if the up to date coverage of a given stream section is when it was high and muddy or, as is true on some sections, it was a windy day and there is a lot of sun glinting off rippled water and obscuring the depth or character of the river there, you can also try going into the history feature  and seeing the previous photo coverage of the same area.

You can get free downloads of USGS topos from their Historical Topo collection at;

http://nationalmap.gov/historical/

Your area of interest hasn't changed much in the last few decades, so maps from the '80s-90s should serve your purpose.

I can't dance like I used to.