Featured
Quillback
Quillback

Indian Creek 12/3

large.ICsmallie.jpg

Went over to Indian Creek early in the AM and fished with Mike M.  Early it was flat calm, as you can see from the pic.  That's when the fish were biting.  The smallies were hitting jigs and there was top water action, mostly stripers but a few black bass also.  We caught the smallies dragging 1/2 oz football jigs with craw or twin tailed grubs dragging them in 5 - 20 FOW.  Once the wind picked up, and it really started blowing, the bite slowed down.  We totaled about 15 bass, mostly smallies, but a couple of spots and one largemouth.  One smallie went about 3 lbs., the rest were in the 12-16" range.

I had two stripers blow up on a pencil popper, one was a huge explosion, but he missed the popper, had another blowup, just felt a tick, but he didn't get enough of the lure.  Saw one boat fishing for striper that came in a bit later after the wind picked up, he was in the right area, don't know if he caught any.

Saw water temps from 57-59, given the forecast that won't last.

Quite a few eagles back in Indian if anyone wants to do some eagle watching, that's not a bad place to go.  Saw some turkeys too.

large.ICJigsmallie.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Sounds like a great day.  Reading ur reports gets me excited to get back on the water.   I haven’t been out sense last week Friday and dieing to do so.  I may shoot up to Indian creek and see if I can put a hook in one of those striper.   This incoming front my shut them down though. We’ll see 

• Members
On 12/4/2017 at 7:03 AM, Quillback said:

large.ICsmallie.jpg

Went over to Indian Creek early in the AM and fished with Mike M.  Early it was flat calm, as you can see from the pic.  That's when the fish were biting.  The smallies were hitting jigs and there was top water action, mostly stripers but a few black bass also.  We caught the smallies dragging 1/2 oz football jigs with craw or twin tailed grubs dragging them in 5 - 20 FOW.  Once the wind picked up, and it really started blowing, the bite slowed down.  We totaled about 15 bass, mostly smallies, but a couple of spots and one largemouth.  One smallie went about 3 lbs., the rest were in the 12-16" range.

I had two stripers blow up on a pencil popper, one was a huge explosion, but he missed the popper, had another blowup, just felt a tick, but he didn't get enough of the lure.  Saw one boat fishing for striper that came in a bit later after the wind picked up, he was in the right area, don't know if he caught any.

Saw water temps from 57-59, given the forecast that won't last.

Quite a few eagles back in Indian if anyone wants to do some eagle watching, that's not a bad place to go.  Saw some turkeys too.

large.ICJigsmallie.jpg

This post has been promoted to an article

What brand of jigs do you use quill.

4 hours ago, Bass_assassin said:

What brand of jigs do you use quill.

I am just guessing here, but this could be a fun game. I am saying a 3/8 oz BASS X jig with a zoom speed craw in watermelon red. I am not a jig fisherman though so I could be totally off.

8 hours ago, bferg said:

Crazy how a striper can glow up a pencil poper and not touch a hook... meanwhile if it gets within 2 inches of my pants I have to cut it out!

Exactly.  I couldn’t open palm slap one without getting 9 hooks in my hand.... and pencil poppers only have 6 hooks 

Sorry guys, been on the White river for a few days and missed the jig question.  That's a Tightline jig, I think it is what they call "Mama Bream".  1/2 oz FB jig with a Yamamoto GP twin tail grub as a trailer.  I have also used a 3/8 oz Nutech finesse jig in 3/8 oz with the same trailer.  If the wind isn't bad I'll go 3/8, if it starts blowing I'll go 1/2.