Meramec

Guest P. owensby

All he said was that they're crappy bass lures...and he's right. They catch lots of trout and lots of other small species, but there are so many other lures that will outfish them if you're looking for smallies or LM.

Crappy bass lures. Interesting. They don't always work well, but there have been times where I have had some truly amazing smallmouth bass fishing on Rooster Tails. As a matter of fact, the best day of smallmouth fishing I've ever head was on the Big Piney throwing 1/16 Ounce Sissy Lures. And then there was that time on the Saranac River in New York when I caught smallmouth till my arms were sore, most of them over 14 inches, and some as large as 18" once again, on Sissy Lures. And I have had many other good days with them for every species of bass that swims in every kind of water type.

And they are inexpensive, which can be a deciding factor in itself. That may not matter to people who will readily pay 10 bucks for a lure, but some of us have the misfortune of living in the real world and have to make decisions based on cost. Whenever I post a report on here about using something simple and relatively inexpensive like a rooster tail or a Rebel Craw, someone often feels the need to say "No, you're doing it wrong. You've got to have these fancy lures and baits that cost an arm and a leg to catch fish." Do those help sometimes, yes they do. But by and large I am capable of catching fish and having a great time using my more simple lures on a $20 dollar ultralight set-up that I bought from Walmart.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic