9Wt Rod

joe2011

Depends on the size of the fly, or the size of the fish...Dont really use my 9wt in Missouri much, but its my go too for inshore saltwater species, silver, chum, & sockeye salmon...Do most of my bass fishing with a 7wt, occasionally an 8wt. Lightly used 8wts are pretty easy to come by. Good Luck.

I have a really fast 9-weight I mostly use for Stripers - for Black Bass the heaviest I go is 8-weight, and that's really for throwing big poppers and leeches and what not. It's not that you need an 8-weight to land the average Bass, but if you want to throw the big stuff - you'll need a pretty big stick. I like my 7-weight for most Smallmouth sized "big flies" and if I had to narrow it down to one rod for all of my Ozark area Bass fly-rodding (Smallmouths in the rivers, Largemouths Bass in the lakes and farm ponds) it would probably be the 7-weight.

The heavier the rod, the more tiring it is to fish all day. I don't own anything heavier than an eight weight, and really the only thing I've used the eight weight for in the last ten years is salmon fishing in Alaska. Like Gavin and RS said, a seven weight is usually the go-to rod for most bass fishing in MO for me, and it's a nice streamer rod for trout.

I've been using a 6 wt and now a 5 wt. It is difficult to get some of my bigger bugs out there, but for what I fish (streams that can be waded) it works quite well.

If the price is right it won't hurt you. As far as throwing it, it can probably carry an 8 weight line, unless it's an expensive fast rod.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

I never thought I'd have use or need for a 9 until I ended up with one via a trade deal, but now I find myself reaching for it all the time. I don't throw anything bigger with it than my 7 can handle, but with the 9 I can cast further and with less false casting. It doesn't wear me out one bit.

I pretty much let my tippet size determine which rod weight to use.... if Im using 10-12# tippet I use the 9wt.