Jf Water Levels - Alternate Float?

cdog222

• Members

I have a float planned for the upper JF from Buck Hollow back to Alley at the end of May, but I'm a bit concerned about water levels. I've been floating this stretch for 8 or 9 years between late April to late May, and the concern has always been too much water, not too little. I'm hopeful that we'll get enough rain to pull it off, but just in case I was wondering what a good backup plan would be?

The upper JF is my personal heaven - I can't imagine that there is something comparable, but my ozark stream experience is limited to the upper JF. Is there a stretch of the Current or some other stream that offers the ambiance, no crowds.....and lots of smallies? We usually spend 3 nights on the JF, so I'll have that many days set aside for the trip and would like to sleep on some gravel bars somewhere :)

Suggestions are certainly appreciated - or some reassurance that the JF will have enough water to float! Guess I better learn a rain dance of some sort......

If the Jacks Fork is too low to float, chances are that all other streams that are small enough to give one some solitude are also too low. But if you are able to go during the middle of the week, the Current from Round Spring to Powdermill ain't too shabby. You'll see some rental canoes and a few jetboats, probably, but there are plenty of smallies in that stretch and it's absolutely gorgeous scenery, with wild country and big bluffs.

Other than that, a lot depends upon whether you need to hire a shuttle (or rent canoes) and how far you want to drive. The only river that's even better as far as scenery than the upper Jacks Fork is the Buffalo in Arkansas. The float from Buffalo Point to the White River is floatable year-round, wilder than the Jacks Fork (no intermediate accesses below Rush--the last 25 miles or so is as close as you can get to real wilderness in the Ozarks), huge bluffs and huge gravel bars. The geology is a little different so the bluffs look different than those on the Jacks Fork, but otherwise it's like a bigger, deeper version of the canyon of the upper Jacks Fork, with no bottomland, just a wooded hill on one side and a bluff on the other. Fishing can be pretty good, too.

Other choices...the Big Piney is pretty sweet. Boiling Spring to Ross Bridge would be a good three or four day trip. Bryant Creek would be good, pretty much do the whole floatable section.

If you compromise your expectations just a bit you have countless alternatives to JF. You just have to take the time to explore those rivers or sections of rivers not served by liveries. If you can find wonder in scenery that is a bit less dramatic, get used to looking into water a little less clear and deal with suttle logistics that are more work, a whole world of float fishing opportunities await.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

If the Jacks Fork is too low to float, chances are that all other streams that are small enough to give one some solitude are also too low. But if you are able to go during the middle of the week, the Current from Round Spring to Powdermill ain't too shabby. You'll see some rental canoes and a few jetboats, probably, but there are plenty of smallies in that stretch and it's absolutely gorgeous scenery, with wild country and big bluffs.

I floated Round Spring to Two Rivers last summer, and it was one of the best floats I have ever been on. The scenery is spectacular and there is so much current and deep water you don't know where to cast first. Kind of problem I like to have. It is also a very easy float with little paddling required due to the current.

We went on a Saturday and from Williams Landing to Log Yard, there was only 1 kayak and 2 other canoes on the river. From Log Yard to the JF confluence the jet boats and rafters came out. Should be ok during the week though.

"Of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy."

"There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot."

Friend just got back from a 6 day float on the JF today. Said the upper part is already too low and drug quite a bit for the first two days. Unless things change I'd seriously consider other plans.

• Members

Thanks all for the replies, much appreciated!

@ Al, I think we may be leaning towards the Big Piney. I'd love to float the Buffalo (and I'm sure WILL some time soon...), but I'm not sure I can convince all my crew on short notice to go that far. Looks like a darn sweet river!

@ Greasy B, I'm all for adventure and new stuff - my experience is pretty much limited to the JF and the Meremac, and I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. If I'm outdoors and have a fishing pole in my hand, I'm pretty much a happy camper! Admittedly, the JF has raised my expectations :)

@ joeD, we've never had to worry about alternate plans. Sure, we've gotten rained on (rather severely a time or two), but low water has never even been on our radar as a possible issue. After 10 trips of good river conditions, I just assumed it would always be good to go. A forced change of scenery will certainly lead to a new adventure...

@ TR, thanks - I'm slowly getting more familiar with land marks on the Current river. Now when people refer to certain stretches of the river, I at least have a bit of a clue of where they are talking about. Tough call between the Big Piney and Current....

@ 3wt, that is truly unfortunate! I'm am sure we will have a great time wherever we wind up, the the upper JF is certainly my first choice!

Thanks all....

@ Al, I think we may be leaning towards the Big Piney. I'd love to float the Buffalo (and I'm sure WILL some time soon...), but I'm not sure I can convince all my crew on short notice to go that far. Looks like a darn sweet river!

@ Greasy B, I'm all for adventure and new stuff - my experience is pretty much limited to the JF and the Meremac, and I'm just looking for someone to point me in the right direction. If I'm outdoors and have a fishing pole in my hand, I'm pretty much a happy camper! Admittedly, the JF has raised my expectations :)

@ joeD, we've never had to worry about alternate plans. Sure, we've gotten rained on (rather severely a time or two), but low water has never even been on our radar as a possible issue. After 10 trips of good river conditions, I just assumed it would always be good to go. A forced change of scenery will certainly lead to a new adventure...

@ TR, thanks - I'm slowly getting more familiar with land marks on the Current river. Now when people refer to certain stretches of the river, I at least have a bit of a clue of where they are talking about. Tough call between the Big Piney and Current....

@ 3wt, that is truly unfortunate! I'm am sure we will have a great time wherever we wind up, the the upper JF is certainly my first choice!

Thanks all....

Just got back from 2 days on upper North Fork (Hale Crossing to Hammond Camp). Water was in real good shape but several trees down required some minor portaging above Twin Bridges. Topwater fishing was strong although smallies a bit size challenged on this trip. Saw many nicer fish in holes but they weren't as aggressive as I hoped. A tagged 15.75 incher ($25 value) helped pay for a portion of shuttle cost. Could do more water above where I put in. Bryant Creek would be nice alternative from Monesatary bridge (Hwy 00) down to Sycamore for about 3 days. Do it yourself shuttle, however. Piney a real nice choice as well.

• Members

Thanks all....

For what it's worth, some of my best trips have taken place only when I was forced to switch rivers in the weeks/days leading up to the trip. That being said, if I could only float one stream for the rest of my life (some sort of Ozarkian episode of The Twilight Zone) - the upper Jacks would probably be it. I'm making the assumption that your group will be in loaded canoes? Some of my most successful UJF fishing trips have been in low water conditions (starting at Prongs when the Mountain View gauge is barely at 1.90); however, I've been in my kayak. Less water = more challenge = less fishing pressure = often great fishing!

I'll echo TR - a trip on the Current, below Round Spring, is mighty fine. If your trip isn't completely over the weekend, then the jet boats shouldn't be too bad. I recall some great camping spots/gravel bars in this stretch, and the constant current sure is nice when you have to make up time (I'm the guy that falls in love with a hole, after catching one fish, then has to play catch-up). Usually this stretch of the Current serves as the default trip in the dogdays of summer.

You'll catch plenty of fish on the Big Piney. Slow water, with plenty of paddling...yes. But it sure is a fishy river. Al and the other folks can probably explain why (food abundance, cover, etc). I'm still a novice, and the BP gives up nice fish every time. Plenty of rock bass in there - which is a nice bonus.

Warning: Once you make your first trip to the Buffalo, you'll be hooked. As stated by others, Ozark topography on another level. Simply gorgeous. And the rapids enhance the experience. Nothing crazy, but enough to improve your paddling skills and create some good campfire stories in the future.

When you decide to hit the Eleven Point, give the folks at Richards Canoe Rental a buzz. Great people. Putting in at Cane Bluff can yield great smallie results, since most folks take the easy route and put in below Greer Spring. Simply beautiful, too. Nice rapids and flow in a wilderness setting. Less gravel bars, but I've never had a problem. Never see more than a handful of people when I float the EPR. Primitive, without many outfitters. Only Missouri river on the WSR list.

Forgive the long post. Therapy for a rough day at work.

"There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot."

— Aldo Leopold

RiverStamps™ - vinyl decals for your kayak or canoe