Bald Eagles

I'm seeing nesting bald eagles at every single lake that I fish. Anyone else seeing a dramatic increase in the numbers of nesting pairs. I cannot remember seeing this many last year. I can think of 2 from 2011. I've seen 6 pair this year alone. Thank what ever deity you might believe in that DDT was banned in the USA. Unfortunately we still produce millions of tons of it and ship it elsewhere in the world where it's not banned. D'oh!

Fish On Kayak Adventures, LLC.

Supreme Commander

'The Dude' of Kayak fishing

www.fishonkayakadventures.com

fishonkayakadventures@yahoo.com

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm seeing nesting bald eagles at every single lake that I fish. Anyone else seeing a dramatic increase in the numbers of nesting pairs. I cannot remember seeing this many last year. I can think of 2 from 2011. I've seen 6 pair this year alone. Thank what ever deity you might believe in that DDT was banned in the USA. Unfortunately we still produce millions of tons of it and ship it elsewhere in the world where it's not banned. D'oh!

At least we got rid of Chlorodane! That stuff really worked though. Just get close and your lips get numb

"Honor is a man's gift to himself" Rob Roy McGregor

At least we got rid of Chlorodane! That stuff really worked though. Just get close and your lips get numb

yeah now it's concentrated in the fish! d'oh! Atrazine is another favorite. Got corn fields? You got atrazine in your drinking water.

Supreme Commander

Strong $ insecticides $ are $ absolutely $ necessary $ to prevent $ starvation.

I suspect that the eagles are having an easier time catching dinner with the fish concentrated more.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Yeah, I can remember when seeing an eagle in the Ozarks was rare. I can remember when you saw more of them in the winter but never in the summer. I can remember when there wasn't a single known eagle nest on an Ozark stream. Bald eagles are one of conservation's success stories.

and wild turkeys. there was no such thing when I was a kid, not that many years ago either. definately success stories.

Supreme Commander

Saw a pair of juvenile eagles on Table Rock this weekend, looked like they were just learning to fly. Mom or dad was out on the lake diving on fish. I would think that they would eat a lot of gar, seeing how gar hang so close to the top of the water in the summer, and TR has a lot of gar.

Another thing I've noticed is there are a lot of blue herons on the lakes and streams, I don't remember seeing so many back in the 60's and 70's, seems in the last 20 years they've really become numerous.

I see Otter dung on all of the streams I fish now. But I really don't catch any fish out of those streams anymore. Another great revival of a lost species.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson

The Sac River below Stockton, all the way to Truman is seeing more nesting too. Early this Spring Mrs. BilletHead and I seen three nests from the 82 Access to 54 hyway when chasing walleye. I was back up there a couple of weeks ago and there were young eagles around all three places. Parents close by also watching there young. I shot some pictures of them while up there.

post-8405-0-53828200-1341444347_thumb.jp

post-8405-0-54754400-1341444403_thumb.jp

post-8405-0-36204900-1341444445_thumb.jp

post-8405-0-43175400-1341444494_thumb.jp

post-8405-0-80478000-1341444552_thumb.jp

A week ago I was on the Osage arm near Schell City and seen two more along the river there. Really nice to have them back like this......

BilletHead

"We have met the enemy and it is us",

Pogo

If you compete with your fellow anglers, you become their competitor, If you help them you become their friend"

Lefty Kreh

" Never display your knowledge, you only share it"

Lefty Kreh

"Eat more bass and there will be more room for walleye to grow!"

BilletHead

" One thing in life is for sure. If you are careful you can straddle the barbed wire fence but make one mistake and you will be hurting"

BilletHead

P.S. "May your fences be short or hope you have long legs"

BilletHead