Fly Tying Video - Mike Schmidt's Red Rocket

Brian Wise

Hey guys, here is the Red Rocket from Mike Schmidt. The more I tie his flies, the more I like them. I am a HUGE fan of Laser Dub for building a flashy/full head....wool just can't pull off what Laser Dub can.

Hope you enjoy.

#!

Recipe:

Rear Hook

Hook - Gamakatsu B10s #2

Flash - Flashabou

Tail - Magnum Zonker Strip

Hackle - Schlappen

Body - Estaz

Collar - Palmered Marabou

Connection Point - Beadalon

Front Hook:

Hook - Gamakatsu B10s #1

Flash - Flashabou

Hackle - Schlappen

Body - Estaz

Collar - Palmered Marabou

Legs - Sili-Legs

Gills - Red Laser Dub

Head - Laser Dub

Eyes - Clear Cure Eyes

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic video, Brian! Loved the song you picked as well! I like the look of that fly as well, I imagine it has a ton of movement in the water.

Are rubber legs a real necessity on big streamers like this? I see them with and without, and then on the front only like this one. Is there a method to that madness?

- Nick

Fantastic video, Brian! Loved the song you picked as well! I like the look of that fly as well, I imagine it has a ton of movement in the water.

Are rubber legs a real necessity on big streamers like this? I see them with and without, and then on the front only like this one. Is there a method to that madness?

You know.....on this pattern I am not convinced they do anything besides maybe adding a little bit of a lateral line. Galloup's patterns are a different story. To me, when the body that is behind the rubberlegs isn't very full (much like the Galloup patterns) it really gives the legs a chance to move a lot....when the body behind the legs is pretty thick and full the legs pretty much just get "glued" to the sides of the body. I am a big fan of sili-legs as a whole on streamers but on real full bodied streamers I don't know if they are a true necessity.

Gesundheit!

HA! Thanks! I started to edit that out and thought "What the heck, I'll leave it in". My boys got a kick out of it.

Brian,

I do miss the underwater shots. Great video though.

I know....I do too, really. They take SO much time that I had to make the choice to either get rid of underwater shots and have more videos or keep the underwater shots and have fewer videos. I decided to go with more videos. Still struggling with it though and wish there was a happy-medium.

Still struggling with it though and wish there was a happy-medium.

Underwater shot in the bathtub.

Problem solved beeatches!

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop