Geocaching

Daryk Campbell Sr

I am new to Geocahing, I have 4 Finds in the St Louis/Jefferson County area. For those who don't know what it is,

Geocaching is a free real-world outdoor treasure hunt. Players try to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, using a smartphone or GPS and can then share their experiences online. ( Copied from www.geocaching.com)

Caches can be difficult and sometimes easy to find, they can be underground, in the air and underwater.

I have found kids caches and a couple film container (micro) caches. I go by sk8er96 on the website.

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)

A buddy at work is getting me started on it this weekend. He once found one inside a drilled out plastic pine cone hanging in a pine tree. He only found it because it was bigger then the natural ones. I go by mlmcd02

It is a fun sport. Whenever I travel to a new place, I usually download the local caches and try to knock out a few if I have time. My favorites are usually in cemetaries. Nice quiet places with alot of history.

I have found several ranging from micro caches that were about the size of 5 asprins stacked together to a full blown outhouse full of more stuff than a Dollar Tree. Travel bugs are fun.

My handle is the same on geocaching.com, jdmidwest.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

You have to put together a kit in a fanny pack or something. Cell phones are great for the ones in places where you have service, but you need a gps with download capability to really get the ones off the beaten paths. A fine point pen for signing the little logs. Some trinkets to leave behind in the larger caches. A laptop or netbook works great too.

Be careful retrieving the caches, muggles may see you and steal the cache. Stealth is one of the arts of the game. Always put them back like you found them.

My first was on the Ozark Trail, it had a complete log book with paragraphs for entrys, it was interesting to read. It was a 50 cal ammo can with several items. We did several last year during duck season after hunts in the Dexter area and Schell City. Just last month, we did the Houston and Licking ones, pretty neat area.

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

— Hunter S. Thompson

Had to look this one up...

Muggle A non-geocacher. Based on "Muggle" from the Harry Potter series, which is a non-magical person. Usually this term is used after a non geocacher looks puzzled after befriending a geocacher searching for a cache, or when a non-geocacher accidentally finds a cache. Geomuggles are mostly harmless.

Until you guys started talking about geocaching, I had never herd of it. I think my youngest boy might enjoy it.

I started it because my co-workers told how great it was for family time in the woods.

It is a fun hobby that will get you out of the house/hotel room and help you find places that you never would have seen. The really fun part it is that it is a World Wide game. I have logged several caches in China and seen some very cool places I never would have visited.

Joe

I think it is unknown to many. I read about it in a local paper about a year ago, but it was very vague. Until JDMIDWEST mentioned it in one of his posts, I had all but forgot about it.

Money is just ink and paper, worthless until it switches hands, and worthless again until the next transaction. (me)

I am the master of my unspoken words, and the slave to those that should have remained unsaid. (unknown)