Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

Giggers blame the fishermen, fishermen blame the giggers....I would find it a safe bet that there is plenty of blame to go around. Just my 2c.

POACHERS should not be placed in the same class with law obeying fishermen and/or giggers. Like calling spot lighters deer hunters..... my 2cents

“If a cluttered desk is a sign, of a cluttered mind, of what then, is an empty desk a sign?”- Albert Einstein

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poachers are in the same classification and theifs to me no matter what fish, game, flora anything. I am less worried about giggers or fishermen. I know very few people who release walley they are just to fine a table fish. So long as the science says the stocks are healthy and viable for the limits imposed im happy.

I have no problem with any one keeping any fish thats legal, catch and release is more of a personal thing.

But I do think if you preach catch and release of bass or trout then you should be as conservative minded when it comes to other game fish like walleye or whitebass.

Walleye,are the premier game fish in our area, in my opinion. I have only released one female that was 27 inchs long ,the eggs were just falling out of her and I had 3 other males already on the stringer to eat.You know it felt pretty good and I hope I have enough will power to do it again.

So do what you wanna do when it comes release or eat.

One thing I do know for sure is that I won't be releaseing any crappie on Table Rock this year, its just packed full of em.

hey tightline, I like your post, especially about how it felt pretty good to release that 27 incher! you bet it does! I have released many lrg walleyes and will continue too. my main point I am trying to make is that,( and I am talking mostly pre-spawn walleyes ) for the good avid fisherman, seems like there is plenty good fishing down here to always have fresh fish to eat! so why not let those big fish go so they can spawn. at least then the eggs have some kind of a chance! but we will never know if they just end up in the gut pile!!!!

Bry they take the brood fish in March and I would imagine that is what drives the whole process time wise. I can't see where it would make any difference, if they're spawned naturally then March is when they start. If they're spawned in the hatchery in March they will still be the same age, only maybe a little stronger from being raised in ideal conditions.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Bry, i cleaned 1 striper last year with walleye in it 5''size walleye, I caught 13 Bass that spit up walleye parts for 3'' to 5'' and several of the walleye I had last year had parts of walleye in them as well. Of all that Bass I would guess is the primary predator, There was no one time of year they had more or less I only kept note of it because i thought it odd to see bass feeding on walleye, I will state for the record each bass came out of less than 5 feet of water.

The one in the striper was very fresh it was easy to ID it, the bass was not difficult either not many things with jawlines and even that small teeth not hard to ID honestly.

Bry You ever wonder why you can't find farm raised walleye in the grocery stores. They are extremely hard grow in hatchery ponds to fingerling size, let alone any bigger, they tend to enjoy eating each other so you end up with a few big fish instead of 10,000 little fish. I don't know anything about when they release them but I would guess they look at when they can get them as big as possible before they start the hatchery "die off". If you have never raised fish you have no idea of what goes into it, most people think everything can be raised like a trout, but that isn't the case, trout and catfish are easy, it gets tougher from there.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop