Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

I have truly enjoyed this thread.

As a uncommonly lucky member of the "I fish for Walleyes!" contingent, may I add this? Tobin, Shomobin, Columbia River, or Erie may deserve credit as the next best place. I would like to fish all those places. On the other hand, I am an ordinary regular guy. Really. And I have two in the boat over ten in the last couple of years. Thank you Ozarks. I know very few can measure up to that!

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have truly enjoyed this thread.

As a uncommonly lucky member of the "I fish for Walleyes!" contingent, may I add this? Tobin, Shomobin, Columbia River, or Erie may deserve credit as the next best place. I would like to fish all those places. On the other hand, I am an ordinary regular guy. Really. And I have two in the boat over ten in the last couple of years. Thank you Ozarks. I know very few can measure up to that!

That is NOT meant as a brag on me. Instead it is meant as a thank you to the Ozarks.

RPS, you are the man. I have read numerous reports on you on this website and it makes me want to learn more and more on these crazy walleye. Me and the wife love to eat them but I grew up in Mississippi when I got up here, they are hard to catch. We get so excited when we pull one in. There is no bragging on your part, you know what you are doing. Keep it up.

Snakem out.

PD, RPS you guys forgot one place......The Bay of Quinte is pretty much a cool water fishery and look at the sheer numbers of monster eyes they pull out.

I think the biggest part of being able to catch big uns' from any body of water is the familiarity with where you are fishing.

I definitely love seeing RPS get those hawgs up on the white river arm. I go back every once in awhile and look at those posted pics. Pics of big walleye are a thing of beauty.

I have always been under the impression that walleye in the north were kept with fewer C&R practitioners. I have no information on this, just an impression from reading. My point though would be that maybe this area has a low density of walleye fishermen on the lakes and possibility a higher percentage of C&R fishermen. If there was any truth to the theory it would allow a longer growth pattern.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Great eating, weak fighting perfect put and take fish!

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

thanks Wayne for the comments on C&R, that's the kind of info I have been waiting to hear on this thread, is if the guys down here that mainly fish walleye, especially in the spring! (pre-spawn ) if they release those big females or not? this is just my opinion ( no DNR stats or anything ) on the C&R in the north. being from Wisconsin, I think that the joe average fisherman that catches a walleye will most likely keep it , and especially if it is big! just because it is big, with no conservation in mind. BUT as far as the true die hard walleye fishermen go, I believe most of them, at least the amount of guys I know of are very big into releasing ALL big females! . and I believe it pays off big time! there are times when a guy can catch numerous 7 to 11 lb walleye a Day! yes walleye are great eating,so keep the males and smaller females ( imo- under 22 in) and let the big ones go so they can spawn! there is plenty of other fish down here to eat!

Great points, no matter what kind of fish I like keeping the barely legal ones and releasing the big ones, especially females full of eggs.

"The problem with a politician’s quote on Facebook is you don’t know whether or not they really said it." –Abraham Lincoln

Tales of an Ozark Campground Proprietor

Dead Drift Fly Shop

Good for you Justin! its just good conservation practice! I used to fish sunfish a lot years ago up in chetek,wi. great panfish fishery, we would release the female sunfish if they had eggs in them. I hope there is a good amount of that down here especially on the highly sought after eating fish ( walleye , crappie and white bass )

I keep hearing about Walleye not fighting, but that's not my experience. The little guys can't do much, but all the legal keepers do OK for themselves. The fish in the 25 inch or larger pull pretty hard with big head shakes.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish