Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few yrs ago while walleye fishing in the spring time we were about 2 miles up river from the swinging bridge there is a small cut and a striper had some shad cornered in that cut and it was having a hay day.

Gone but not forgotten Martin Ford

I wonder if information is available from the spring electrofishing at the Pothole concerning size. I watched them return the fish one year for 5 or 10 minutes and there were some "nice" ones, but I didn't see any really big fish. Obviously I could have missed them.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

I wonder if information is available from the spring electrofishing at the Pothole concerning size. I watched them return the fish one year for 5 or 10 minutes and there were some "nice" ones, but I didn't see any really big fish. Obviously I could have missed them.

I got to participate one night (with Martin), back when they were rounding 'em up for the tagging study. The biggest we saw that night were a couple in the 9-11 pound class, but AJ Pratt, MDC biologist, said they'd tagged a 13 the night before. He didn't remember ever seeing any fish larger than that at River Run. He said he knew there were bigger fish in the lake, but he believed they tended to hold mostly in the lower lake.

Then again, I've HEARD of (not seen) several 15 to 19 pounders taken from the Pothole over the last dozen years. A few years back, somebody with a screen name of "Deacon Mike" from Rockaway Beach posted photos on Walleye Central of (if I remember right) a 15 and a 17 caught on separate occasions at night in late November/December. Each fish was kinda draped over a cooler, and it seemed fairly evident that they were monsters.