Bank Fishing Walleyes

Bitethis

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing new. Lots of these custom bait builders, are removing the factory bills, and inserting bills of their own chosen length to make the bait preform as they see fit for the best application they are trying to fish. I have rogues that Buster put custom bills on from the early 90's. Not spoonbills, but inbetween the regular and the really deep diving. Most believe the old spoonbill rogues just don't have the action as the smaller or custom made bills. Been a bunch of fish caught on the old spoonbills however.

Nothing new. Lots of these custom bait builders, are removing the factory bills, and inserting bills of their own chosen length to make the bait preform as they see fit for the best application they are trying to fish. I have rogues that Buster put custom bills on from the early 90's. Not spoonbills, but inbetween the regular and the really deep diving. Most believe the old spoonbill rogues just don't have the action as the smaller or custom made bills. Been a bunch of fish caught on the old spoonbills however.

Can you recommend a good website for instructions on how to do this? Or, would you be willing to explain that process. Sounds like fun to experiment with? I often find that the jerks I use dont have the action I desire.

There may or may not be a website that explanes how to repurpose the bills on the old model rogues, but I am not aware of it. I do know the replacement plastic is extremely hard to find, as far as durability and just the right ammount of flex or stiffness that it has to have to make the bait work correctly. length is also a factor in the aspect if you make it incorrectly the bait runs to the side or just rolls.

Buster told me the other day the plastic he has he got from Bill Anderson about 20 yrs. ago. He said he still has a couple of sheets. B. Anderson was our Fisheries Biologist.

We both believe the new Megabass 110 plus 1 is going to be a very good bait for walleye. It however only comes in a few colors and they are not near what we are catchin them on. Buster did have a client that caught one a blue megabass plus 1.

We are currently having some painted by Hughes Custom Baits to the colors we have been catching them on with the modified rogues. Lots of flo-chartruse or flo green.

Hope the MB works as the old rogues will just wear you out trying to throw that light weight bait. It also tends to spin and sail when you throw it, so we are hoping the megabass is the deal as it throws a mile.

I just can't justify paying $20-$30 for a stickbait, I love those MB 110 +1 looks and design, and i hear guys have great success with them. There has to be a comprable jerk though? I even have a hard time spending more the $10 on a lure. But, if you are saying that a $25 lure will definitely catch more fish, then maybe I will rethink it.

Bill, I have been taking limits on the plus one at stockton almost every trip since December. Most days everyone in the boat gets a limit. The plus one is a walleye killer. The extra few feet puts the bait where it needs to be. I found see thru glitter ayu is the go to color up here.

Angler At Law

Bacon's Tackle Store in Shreveport,La is a GREAT source for hard to get stuff. He acquired lots and lots of Smithwick lure parts when the original owners closed up shop.

I would imagine he has replacement bills for Rogue's. Bacon's phone number (318) 686-6309 if anyone is interested.

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

Bacon's Tackle Store in Shreveport,La is a GREAT source for hard to get stuff. He acquired lots and lots of Smithwick lure parts when the original owners closed up shop.

I would imagine he has replacement bills for Rogue's. Bacon's phone number (318) 686-6309 if anyone is interested.

He has a website too, neat stuff!

http://www.smithwickcollector.com/