Omtt 3/2/13

Fishin Hodge

Turn off the Fann, I am getting a little chill.

Wow. 2 bags over 28 pounds and if you can't catch 20, then you apparently just can't fish very well; and yes that definately includes me. I am astounded trying to wrap my head around exactly what just happened.

Anybody want to chime in as to your thoughts about exactly how this is done. I can tell you I don't believe that the just picked the right little streches and straight fished a stickbait or an Alabama rig and caught this kind of weight.

What are they doing so different? Are they on a school of deep fish and they just pick them off through the day or do you think they are spot hopping. Do they have a map of every piece of magical standing timber in the lake? Are they finding a-rig schools holed up in the middle of pockets?

Something else interesting and baffeling to me is several serious Table Rock winter guns with big sacks the week before struggled in the OMTT. Makes me reconsider that it is a big schools deal and points me toward the isolated wood/right spot right time kind of deal, which is even harder to wrap my mind around.

I realize I couldn't catch this kind of weight in the Bass Pro aquarium, but I would like to be able to catch 10 or 12 pounds when someone goes out and sets the lake on fire like that.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The Fann Brothers are both excellent fisherman and proved that in the Anglers in Action Yesterday... Again bringing in over 28lbs this time with a 9.22 kicker. Brent Algeo and Jim Copeland had the other sack over 28lbs on saturday and came back sunday with over 25lbs.Lots of great fisherman in the OMTT and AIA and all of these guys can flat catch fish. I don't know what was going on around the kimberling area during the OMTT I fished and never had a bite fishing the deeper trees and bluffy type stuff. I do know some of the fish came from secondary points in the area, but I also know that some of the guys that whacked em earlier in the week came up with a goose egg. Myself included.

Troy Gregg

I could be part of the team that put together a map of places where not to fish on our area lakes. Think about it, nobody minds to show you an area that stinks. Put them all together on a map, and I think its a million dollar idea.

Joking aside, I too fished the Kimberling Area and struggled, but I have little doubt I was within sight of someone that probably smoked them. I am wondering to myself if I would realize it if I found the right stuff, or if I would just flat overlook it??

No doubt some great fishermen struggled, if you are a little off this time of year you just flat miss it. I hate this time of year for fishing, but am obsessed with it too. :oh-noes:

My thinking to all of the madness is that the fish are pulled up and feeding at certain parts of the day on very specific staging banks that have a big break from shallow water to deep water. These small areas to me are not very big and by looking at the bank people may miss them. I found yesterday gulls working at the mouth of a creek in 70ft of water but didn't locate the shad and moved to the bank that set up to what these little areas looked like and caught several solid keepers and pulling off a monster all on a jerkbait. When I first pulled up to the spot I didn't have anything showing up on my graph but when I made my second cast and caught that first fish my screen came alive and for 5 minutes it was game on then the switch turned off. My experience that last couple of weeks have been a timing deal where if they are up feeding you can load the boat but if you go back to the areas you have caught them you may not get another bite for the rest of the day. I maybe totally wrong on this too but that is what I have noticed that last couple of weeks. The OMTT and AIA guys are the best around on Ozark Impoundments but the number of 20lb bags plus upper 20lb bags blew my mind this past weekend. The same thing happened on Guntersville in an Everstart event this past weekend with alot of huge bags and other were struggling.

Good thoughts Sprint, Thanks. It hurts, but thanks. Obviously time on the water plays a role; if this is a spot/timing kind of deal it is simply amazing how well they have mastered their timing. Shy of time on the water, I just can't figure out how you would go about figuring it. Everytime I go and struggle with a stickbait, I come up with a new scheme/theory which I usually disprove the following weekend, LOL.

Last theory I had: if I fish slow enough they have to bite. I had caught several fish on a Lucky Strike Clunn megabass knock off earlier in the week with this thinking. Didn't set the world on fire, but was conviced I had figured out how to catch a decent bag. I noticed on Saturday that when I let that LS stickbait sit, it sank way to fast. Why didn't I notice this earlier in the week I'll never know, but it didn't seem to matter then?? Switched to a smithwick and second guessed myself the rest of the day, but I did let it sit a lot more than I am comfortable with honestly. Oh well, on to the next theory; proper holding of the mouth.

Talked to a couple of fellow anglers who fish the Joe Bass and they were fishing the same areas that I was and they didn't very good. They were throwing jerkbaits and A-rigs most of the day. However, I only fished the afternoon to dark instead of morning to afternoon. The wind switched directions where I was fishing and there is always a good feeding window before dark in the evenings. Keep the lure wet and fish hard good things will happen.

Those are great bags for sure and it goes to show how deadly the A-Rig is when you put it in the hands of guys who know where they live. I have a buddy who fishes around 10 times a year who had a 5 and a 7 on Saturday throwing an A-Rig around the Baxter area...not sure he had caught a bass over 5 until he started using that thing. I had thought about fishing some tournaments again but I refuse to throw one so I won't waste my time or money fishing against it.