Bowl

ozark trout fisher

You know, sometimes otherwise good teams, even great teams, regardless of the sport, run into a team that, for whatever reason (and there is none) just plain outplays you in every way, and there is nothing you can do about it. Happens all the time.It's just part of sports.

Also, specifically, the notion that the Mizzou coaching staff failed to make "halftime adjustments" that would have altered the outcome is complete nonsense. In fact, the idea that college or pro head coaches make these wholesale changes to their game plans at halftime is a fallacy. It makes fans feel better about their respective teams, but, in reality, any changes are usually slight, and, outcomes are mostly due to effective effort, not strategy. A different approach by the the Mizzou defense would not have mattered, in philosophical opposition to the expert knowledge voiced by grade school football coaches everywhere.

As former Alabama and St.Louis Cardinals football coach Gene Stallings said: "It's about players making plays."

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, sometimes otherwise good teams, even great teams, regardless of the sport, run into a team that, for whatever reason (and there is none) just plain outplays you in every way, and there is nothing you can do about it. Happens all the time.It's just part of sports.

Also, specifically, the notion that the Mizzou coaching staff failed to make "halftime adjustments" that would have altered the outcome is complete nonsense. In fact, the idea that college or pro head coaches make these wholesale changes to their game plans at halftime is a fallacy. It makes fans feel better about their respective teams, but, in reality, any changes are usually slight, and, outcomes are mostly due to effective effort, not strategy. A different approach by the the Mizzou defense would not have mattered, in philosophical opposition to the expert knowledge voiced by grade school football coaches everywhere.

As former Alabama and St.Louis Cardinals football coach Gene Stallings said: "It's about players making plays."

You should join the Mizzou coaching staff. The notion that a team can't make changes on defence is laughable.

I have to agree that joeD is miles from the facts. During a season any team that has a good statistical defense makes changes for every game and the DC calls a game just as the OC does. I'm sure that Mizzou had a defense at some time during the season that would have fit better, but even if the didn't, there was the one that brung 'em, the 4 down!

As for Josey, I have to agree it was a dirty hit, too much time away from the sideline the DB to think about it and look ahead. It couldn't have been anymore deliberate. White should have been ejected.

When it comes to the bowl games Mizzou/OSU is probably the best match-up of all of them, or should be. I find it hard to think Auburn is a good match-up. Auburn had some close games, was somewhat one dimensional on offense and you have to believe they have improved over the season. I still believe Alabama was the better team, but grudge games are generally unpredictable.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.

Football is a game of strategy and adjustments. If you can't adjust, you can't win.

Players get hit out of bounds all the time. It happens. And if you think you can just always pull up and not hit someone like that then you are crazy. It's a rough sport and accidents happen. Either way Mizzou still loses the game.

Players get hit out of bounds all the time. It happens. And if you think you can just always pull up and not hit someone like that then you are crazy. It's a rough sport and accidents happen. Either way Mizzou still loses the game.

Not like that. While I agree it happens, it generally doesn't happen when a DB follows the player 3 steps out of bounds and shoves him when the line is clear to an obstruction. I can't remember one more blatant.

Football is a game of strategy and adjustments. If you can't adjust, you can't win.

Agreed, adjustments must, can and should of been made.

Maybe you're not talking about the same play here. Yes, players get hit out of bounds all the time. I think the play being discussed here is when Josey got hit and then 3 steps later was shoved even further out which resulted in him bouncing off the cart corner and not being able to finish the game. Don't think the hit was the question. Nothing crazy about expecting a player to make the decision not to pull a cheap shot like that.

I'm old school and love the game of football. Played it and coached it. I love a good "legal" hit. "lighting someone up" with a big hit was fun as well as a pleasure to see. This was neither. Punks pull crap like that.

Apparently some of the posters on this thread never played the game. Possibly just stirring the pot.

Flysmaiile, I do agree with you that it might not of made a difference in the outcome of the game. But maybe it could have been. No way anyone can say for sure.

I'm gonna think about fishing and the bowl game.

"Pretty soon we may not have any rights left because it might infringe on someone's rights"

Not like that. While I agree it happens, it generally doesn't happen when a DB follows the player 3 steps out of bounds and shoves him when the line is clear to an obstruction. I can't remember one more blatant.

Well we will agree to disagree then. Contact was made well before he was out of bounds and it's almost impossible to pull off of someone as soon as they step out of bounds at that speed. If that cart wouldn't have been there nobody would even be talking about this. From the video I watched I didn't see the blatant push, not one that should have somebody ejected anyway. Maybe if Mizzou's defense would have played with that intensity then Auburn wouldn't have scored 59 points on them.

Either way Mizzou still loses because they couldn't stop Auburn.

Rut, I played football peewee and High school and I have watched that hit several times. I can tell you I had it done to me and many players have it done to them and not called. It was by no means a vicious it he ran him out of bounds and did get a ( get away shove at the end ) sometimes its called sometimes its not but No way I would call it a cheap shot. I will say it again. Had it not been for the dumbass cheerleaders leaving those stupid cardboard card on the ground then Josey would not have slid near as far and doubtful but possibly made contact with the cart. It is the sympathy to his story that has many people up in arms.

Here it is again, The separation push was late and it warrants a personal fowl call. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfqiSmyRU1I Please look at it close it was the cardboard that really made it even worse.

Thanks for the link. It just reinforces my point. Look closely at seconds 31,32, and 33 in that video. Thats where the shove was initiated and executed. Josey is so far out of bounds you can't even see inbounds! Proof is in the pudding!(or video).

I guess everyone see's things different. All I know is that if a player did that to one of my teamates we'd be lookin for him on a legal crackback block and put that Alice back in Wonderland!

"Pretty soon we may not have any rights left because it might infringe on someone's rights"

F&F, Fly smallie, look at where the second push occurs. Josy is on the yellow broken line! He pushes him out of bounds, disengages and then pushes him again, 5 steps beyond the sideline, on the line that is 12' beyond the sideline. C'mon, that's too far out to be anything but intentional.!

I do agree it wasn't likely a game changer.