Powersite Dam Removal (Not Happening, Discussion Only!)

Dylan Cluver

It would for motor boats running the entire length but with access points it would give motor boats the ability to still play in all the areas minus the dam area zone which would be for bank angling mostly as its a small zone.

If Branson was to get in on the project I bet they could build working mills and other 1800's style near each weir like mini Silver Dollar cities with glass blowing mill works etc etc

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting question.

Powersite is the oldest dam built west of the Mississippi, finished in 1913. At what point is Powersite deemed too old to stand and is taken out?

attachicon.gifhistory 151.jpg

attachicon.gifpowersite dam.jpg

There would have to be more flow from the dam (minimum flow) or the upper end would be nothing but pools of stagnate water.

Stripers and other warm water species would move up in the upper end of the lake at times and trout would be targeted by stripers but if MDC would take this into consideration and stock enough to keep the stripers and anglers happy, it'd be pretty cool!

But that's a big IF. Not sure they could stock enough. And then when trout fishing is bad, everyone will blame the stripers - like they do when crappie fishing is bad on striper lakes.

So what does happen when the dam is considered too old?

No one gripes about obese fish.

• Members

Taneycomo is a unique fishery located in a unique vacation setting. The ability to bank, boat, and wade fish, go to shows, stay at great resorts, etc etc would be compromised by such an undertaking. Lots of better ways to improve Missouri fishing to dream about!

I saw the film, awesume....

Can you imagine what Missouri fishing would have been like 200 yrs ago, before the mechanized age wreaked havoc on the land, all for that stinking dollar bill, and greed.....

Being in KC. I would have liked to have seen how wide the Muddy Mo. really was...

Dam removal is a fascinating subject; Im looking forward to watching the film. A passionate argument could be made for the restoration of any river lost to reservoir construction. The decisions to remove some dams are easy. O'Shaughnessy, Glen Canyon and the four dams on the lower Snake River resulted in tragic loses and should have never been built; our nations wealth will increase when these are removed. All reservoirs have a limited life span; siltation, economic and environmental considerations should spell the end of some long before the structures are obsolete. With the exception of Powersite the fate and problem of what to do with our local dams will be the decision of our childrens, childrens....

As Powersite nears the end of its life span I suspect it will be replaced with another structure just to preserve the status quo.

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

Too old meaning falling apart - they take it out.

Flood? We've already had a 500-year flood (2011). What could be worse?

Has there been any talk of the plan when it comes time to remove? How do they replace it? Build another dam a little farther downstream, and then take down the old one?

Phil, since you own a resort on Taney, would you be for or against permanent removal?

No one gripes about obese fish.

Good questions. I might add, what is its life expectancy?

His father touches the Claw in spite of Kevin's warnings and breaks two legs just as a thunderstorm tears the house apart. Kevin runs away with the Claw. He becomes captain of the Greasy Bastard, a small ship carrying rubber goods between England and Burma. Michael Palin, Terry Jones, 1974

I don't think anymore dams would be necessary. The river that would be left would not likely be that attractive to the stripers because of depth. There's a constant trout population below Powersite now and yet the stripers come and go. They also don't stay long in the North Fork and I suspect that when warmer water is avilable they tend to follow it.

As far as toruism goes, Branson has plenty, but Rockaway and Forsyth could benefit from an increased attraction.

The whole key to the a project such as this would be what Empire Electric did with the land. They would own the land on both side of the river and if they gave it to MDC insuring public access the entire length, I suspect it would be an extremely popular destination. Commercial property would likely flourish along several parts of the river.

Today's release is tomorrows gift to another fisherman.