Thoughts on black lights for night fishing

D Mann

Try Jerry Wilson's table rock blacklights...made right here in Springfield and sold at fin and feather.

Awesome guy and products...

Also, several of the superlines and braids are blacklight  visible.  All I use any more day or night with flouro leaders...

B. Foz

On 6/2/2016 at 4:07 PM, Rick E said:

I night fish almost as much as I day fish.  I like to use a black light and fluorescent line on slow baits like a jig, worm, etc.  When I am slow rolling a spinnerbait or other moving baits, I use regular fluorocarbon and no black light.  I don't want to see the line jump before I feel it or I tend to jerk too soon. I want them to get it in their mouth a bit.  I have the Night Fishion black light system that mounts in the rub rail.  A little pricey, but works great and very convenient.

may I ask where did you get the light package from Rick, I would like to get a bit more info about it,

Thanks, Steve

On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 9:38 AM, merc1997 said:

a black light made night fishing a much easier project from a number of aspects.  it is from seeing your line and being able to track your cast, to being able to retrieve your cast properly, to see those non-existent bites that you would ever even know about without one.

if you are shopping for a really good black light, i would suggest a lunar-extreme.  it is led, and costs about the same as a two bulb fluorescent, but puts out way more light and will actually illuminate the bank, but does not seem to bother the bass any.

just some thoughts from someone that fished for years at night without one before we has any type of black light.  even the old moon glows were an improvement of fishing without any light.  of course way back then, the lake on moonless night was truly as dark as a dungeon.

bo

Merc -

Where can you get the lunar-extreme - I search the Internet and it seems there is just one dealer.  Also that dealer offers three different models - one with all UV bulbs, one with 4 UV and 1 white, and one with 4 UV and 1 green.  Which one do you have?  I have an old tube unit (one UV and one white bulb) but I can't really see the line all the way to the bank. How far from the bank can you get and still see the bank and line?

Thanks

Bobby

13 hours ago, bobby b. said:

Merc -

Where can you get the lunar-extreme - I search the Internet and it seems there is just one dealer.  Also that dealer offers three different models - one with all UV bulbs, one with 4 UV and 1 white, and one with 4 UV and 1 green.  Which one do you have?  I have an old tube unit (one UV and one white bulb) but I can't really see the line all the way to the bank. How far from the bank can you get and still see the bank and line?

Thanks

Bobby

there is only one place to get them and that is on their website.  i use one with all 5 bulbs bulbs uv.  i think there is a number on the website if you would want to call.  the other great thing about their light is if anything should go wrong with it, you can just send it back and they will repair it and not have to buy another light.  mine is over three years old.

bo

• Members

I'm like old plug, I run the line through thumb and finger and have fished nights for many years with out a blk light. In a night club tourn. my nonboater asked, where is you're blk light and when I said I don't have one, he flipped out and wanted to known how we could fish without it. We took 3rd and he managed to catch a few.I think the blk light is a help but not a neassity. When out on a point at night the light does help to not get run over and helps not throw over your partner. More pro's than cons. It would be cool to have a fluorescent braid.

4 hours ago, merc1997 said:

there is only one place to get them and that is on their website.  i use one with all 5 bulbs bulbs uv.  i think there is a number on the website if you would want to call.  the other great thing about their light is if anything should go wrong with it, you can just send it back and they will repair it and not have to buy another light.  mine is over three years old.

bo

Bo, I have more questions:

1) Do you use a white light to see the bank or does the 5 UV bulbs show the bank good enough?

2) I was thinking about getting the one with one white bulb to see the bank.  What do you think?

3) How far away from the bank does your unit work and still see the line and the shore?

4) Do you move it from side to side or do you have two units?

5) I understand it mounts to the deck with suction cups, Do you have to remove it to run to a new location?

Thanks for the help here.

Bobby

10 hours ago, bobby b. said:

Bo, I have more questions:

1) Do you use a white light to see the bank or does the 5 UV bulbs show the bank good enough?

2) I was thinking about getting the one with one white bulb to see the bank.  What do you think?

3) How far away from the bank does your unit work and still see the line and the shore?

4) Do you move it from side to side or do you have two units?

5) I understand it mounts to the deck with suction cups, Do you have to remove it to run to a new location?

Thanks for the help here.

Bobby

the uv bulbs work fine for me seeing the bank.  i use one light, and you have to understand how they work.  it is like a flash light beam and as long as you are throwing through the beam it will illuminate your line.  therefore, i stick on the back of the boat and point it forward.  you have to get used to the light shining at you, but you quickly learn to look forward.  you need to be fishing ahead of the boat anyways. 

i take my light off when moving.  the only lights you are supposed to have on while underway is your running lights.  i wish the water patrol would go to handing tickets out to all of the idiots that are running up and down the lake with any type of light on besides their running lights.  it makes it very difficult to tell which end of their boat is what with all the lights on.

bo

First.  Boo is correct.  Using a black light will help you get more bites. Period. I fish at night two to four times a week. A third of our fish you never feel.  If you want to fish without it its fine but just understand you are handicapping yourself.  Table rock blacklights are great if you want florescent.  Local owned.  Strip led's in the rub rail are freaking great.  Installed them on my new boat.  Will never be without them now.

Second. Boo. Water patrol has advised our series that they will be giving tickets this year to boats running with their blacklights on.  To my knowledge no one yet has received one but our director has been telling everyoneit is coming and not to be surprised if you don't turn them off. Believe because of the new led strips the are gone to start to enforce it harder.

Essary Construction - Honest work for honest price

Custom Construction and Remodeling

Call for free quotes (417)338-6418 http://essarycustomhomes.com/

1 hour ago, merc1997 said:

the uv bulbs work fine for me seeing the bank.  i use one light, and you have to understand how they work.  it is like a flash light beam and as long as you are throwing through the beam it will illuminate your line.  therefore, i stick on the back of the boat and point it forward.  you have to get used to the light shining at you, but you quickly learn to look forward.  you need to be fishing ahead of the boat anyways. 

i take my light off when moving.  the only lights you are supposed to have on while underway is your running lights.  i wish the water patrol would go to handing tickets out to all of the idiots that are running up and down the lake with any type of light on besides their running lights.  it makes it very difficult to tell which end of their boat is what with all the lights on.

bo

Bo, Thanks again

Bobby