Ned Rig Setup Questions

Sorry to barge in here on Derrick's thread but I have a question.  I have a dedicated bait casting setup for the Ned Rig but not spinning.  Do you think a Gloomis GL3 SJR 700 Mag Light Ex-Fast would work out ok?

25 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Sorry to barge in here on Derrick's thread but I have a question.  I have a dedicated bait casting setup for the Ned Rig but not spinning.  Do you think a Gloomis GL3 SJR 700 Mag Light Ex-Fast would work out ok?

It's going to be awfully sensitive and crisp for it. You'll take it away from a lot of fish.

The little rig generally fishes better on a cheaper stick. I've thrown it on a 7'1" GLX spin and couldn't stand it for more than a few hours.

2 hours ago, Dutch said:

If you feel like building a rod, I have found a blank that works exceptionally well for me, the MHX SJ8600. See the details here:

http://www.mudhole.com/MHX-SJ8600-Spin-Jig-Rod-Blank?ext=F&__utmz=267503436.1490209034.4.4.utmgclid=CK_Kk6Dl6tICFUeCfgodzbUHqQ|utmccn=(not set)|utmcmd=(not set)|utmctr=(not provided)&__utmx=-&__utmv=-&fragment=%2FMHX-SJ8600-Spin-Jig-Rod-Blank&__utmk=259051657&__utmb=267503436.4.9.1490209066298&__utmc=267503436&__utma=267503436.1983944919.1487545533.1490209034.1490209063.5

I ordered an Okuma Reflexion 7' medium light spinning rod to try as a Ned rod. I'm a Loomis/Falcon guy, but I bought a casting version of the Okuma Reflexion for my father in law at a farm supply place and used it quite a bit on the lake out back when we lived in Cedar Hill. It fished real well for the $$, and had decent if not name brand guides and reel seat. I saw this rod on eBay for $55, and thought it might really fit Dave's theory of a cheaper "no feel" rod for the Ned. Supposed to get here today, I'll post when I get it and take it to the lake and see how it works, but it's rated 1/8oz to 5/8oz, so it seems like it's in the ballpark of a stick with a lot of tip and some backbone. I don't like buying rods sight unseen, but I've wasted more money on dumber decisions in life if it doesn't work out... LOL 

Ok thanks Dave.  That is as close as I have in a spinning set up.

rps I'm don't have the skills for rod building.  I can barely make jigs and plastics.

49 minutes ago, mixermarkb said:

I ordered an Okuma Reflexion 7' medium light spinning rod to try as a Ned rod. I'm a Loomis/Falcon guy, but I bought a casting version of the Okuma Reflexion for my father in law at a farm supply place and used it quite a bit on the lake out back when we lived in Cedar Hill. It fished real well for the $$, and had decent if not name brand guides and reel seat. I saw this rod on eBay for $55, and thought it might really fit Dave's theory of a cheaper "no feel" rod for the Ned. Supposed to get here today, I'll post when I get it and take it to the lake and see how it works, but it's rated 1/8oz to 5/8oz, so it seems like it's in the ballpark of a stick with a lot of tip and some backbone. I don't like buying rods sight unseen, but I've wasted more money on dumber decisions in life if it doesn't work out... LOL 

Ham was throwing it on some kind of Okuma. I'm sure he'll chime in with the model. Might be that one.

42 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Ok thanks Dave.  That is as close as I have in a spinning set up.

rps I'm don't have the skills for rod building.  I can barely make jigs and plastics.

It's a great rod. You just want something a little mushier.

Super sensitivity is a bit oversold. The weight advantages of those blanks are awesome, but not sure they help with some techniques.

Lot of you would laugh at the sticks in my rod box, but they catch fish the way I like to fish.

The Okuma l have is a "L" 7 footish (may be a 6'10") C3-40X. Discontinued 

I had a Fenwick Bronzeback ML 6'10" that I loved for Ned. I Loaned it to a kid that brought crap gear to fish with me in the BassCat and he managed to break it. ?

Super Dave's std advice is dead on. Rods labeled dropshot are a good place to start. 

Every Saint has a past, every Sinner has a future. On Instagram @hamneedstofish

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I'm revisiting this again. 

I can get a Denali pryme dock rod 7ft ML, Mod Fast from a buddy for cheap. It is technically a crappie rod and he uses it for shallow jerkbaiting for crappie. I was thinking it could be a decent ned rod??? 

I am looking to have a rig dedicated to it for when I need it, when I can't get bit on anything else or when the wife is fishing. I don't want to spend a high dollar

The only thing I'd be worried about is making sure it has enough backbone to set the hook. Soft tip, but it's got to have something up the blank in the way of power. I'm sort of back to the drawing board as well on a cheap rod. The Okuma Reflexion medium light fish more like a medium shakyhead rod. Not enough tip.