Rod Building Hobby

4 hours ago, Gavin said:

Actually had the inspiration to clear off my workbench today. 40-60 more hours of work and I might have another one like this. Built it for my late friend Roy Cleveland a long time ago. Glad someone did not turn it into a tomatoe stake. Got it back from another friend (Joe Weber) who buys & sells this kinda stuff. Rarely do trim wraps, but this rod has a bunch. The thread is fine silk which goes translucent under varnish.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bamboo pole?..i use to have a bamboo deep sea fishing pole that was stolen out of my garage when i was a kid.  I may have access to some real bamboo im sure if i ask the owner, would be neat to build one.

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

Thanks, yes that is bamboo. Just a stick of grass made into a fishing pole. Takes a big 12' long  2-3" diameter piece to start, but you should get 2 rods out of that. Pieces get smaller as you go. Some specialty tooling is involved, but it gets shared by those who have it in the STL area. 

Got my second rod done all but the epoxy on threads 7 footer 4-8 pound test line 1/16 - 5/16 lure weight spinning MHX rod blank. The white rod, the orange one was first one i did.

023.jpg

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

Nice work guys. I have a partly made bamboo that needs to be finished out I bought at yard sale. I have been wanting to build a few spin rods too. I spent some time back in the 90's learning the ropes but other hobbies took over spare time. 

"Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously."

Hunter S. Thompson