Crappie 6-10

Hunter91

Went out today with a friend on the Pomme arm. Caught two limits before 11am. Size average was much better today than our last trip. Half were 11-13 inches. Fish were in 10-20 fow. Most on stumps and trees. Water temp was 85

• Members

Sounds like a great day on the water!!!  Thanks for the report Hunter.  Will be heading over to Pomme from Colorado for our annual Family 4th of July trip and staying at our normal spot at Wheatland Park.  So ready for a week of fishing, floating, swimming, drinking and fireworks.  You happen to run across any white bass chasing bait?  

We got into white bass chasing shad one morning last week they stayed up for about 30 minutes. I seen them hitting surface this morning all over in several areas just not grouped up enough to cast would have had to troll and I was wanting to crappie fish. Crappie have been good caught a limit by 7:00 this morning off of 1 brush pile in 18 fow on 1/24 oz jigs.

• Members

Thanks for the White bass update Ranger!!! Always have to try for them as my misses loves them above all others!!!  As always.... you ROCK!!!  If you happen to get out anymore between now and the 4th would love to get your reports.  Will help feed my excitement as departure day SLOWLY approaches!!!  Man, a 1/24 oz jig....... I've just finally gotten comfortable with a 1/16oz (thanks to my spring trip over)  Think I might have one or two jig heads that small, but they maybe 1/32oz.  Plan this year is to hit the crappie in the morning in the little fishing boat and then do most of the trolling in the evening.  Like to keep a little wind moving over me after sitting out on the lake all day!! 

1/16 oz jig head works fine I used to use 1/32 on calm days and 1/16 if there was some wind. A friend of mine pours the 1/24 ones and just started using them all the time. Went out trolling with my dad last Saturday evening and we caught 20 whites in the area I showed you last year should just keep getting better. I launch in the cove just east of where you camp so hopefully we can get together while you are down. Or maybe I can take you out crappie fishing one morning.

• Members
On 6/10/2018 at 6:43 PM, Hunter91 said:

Went out today with a friend on the Pomme arm. Caught two limits before 11am. Size average was much better today than our last trip. Half were 11-13 inches. Fish were in 10-20 fow. Most on stumps and trees. Water temp was 85

I assume you were dipping trees then? Thinking about rigging this weekend. Will be my first time on the lake just trying to get an idea what will work.

• Members
6 hours ago, Ranger520vx said:

1/16 oz jig head works fine I used to use 1/32 on calm days and 1/16 if there was some wind. A friend of mine pours the 1/24 ones and just started using them all the time. Went out trolling with my dad last Saturday evening and we caught 20 whites in the area I showed you last year should just keep getting better. I launch in the cove just east of where you camp so hopefully we can get together while you are down. Or maybe I can take you out crappie fishing one morning.

Thats awesome news all around Ranger!!!!. We'll be in our same spot at the wheatland campground, WPAR Loop, site 21 starting Sat 6/30 until the next satruday morning.  No jet ski this year, pulling over a pop up for the misses and I (getting a little old to tent it) with the kids in the tent.  Be running the pontoon, look for the slowest one out there, only has a 50 on it, and my fishing machine, Red/aluminum color 18ft, Lund looking, with a 35 Honda 4 stroke.  Would be awesome to hook up and wet our lines together.  Will make sure I chat you up as things get closer.

Were you trolling jigs for the WB?

2 hours ago, wilk816 said:

I assume you were dipping trees then? Thinking about rigging this weekend. Will be my first time on the lake just trying to get an idea what will work.

Just casting to trees and stumps.