Other Ozark Stream

drew03cmc

54 minutes ago, drew03cmc said:

I did it again, 2 2#+ largemouth, 1 16" smallie and several from 8 to 14. 25 to 30 fish total in about 5 hours of fishing. Really, this walk the dog thing is fun. I was always skeptical, but I walk on spinning gear and now have baits from a Sammy 65 up to Zara Spooks and Dog-X Diamante. It's becoming my favorite way to catch fish in the warmer weather.

20190920_104420.jpg

20190920_093115.jpg

20190920_095240.jpg

Great looking bass! Congrats! Looks like a lot of fun. Quite jealous from here in Maryland😌.

On a creek like that you will need to carry a backdrop so that folks don't recognize the spots by looking at the background of your photos 😜! Would love to be fishing out there with you.

3 minutes ago, Johnsfolly said:

On a creek like that you will need to carry a backdrop so that folks don't recognize the spots by looking at the background of your photos 😜! Would love to be fishing out there with you.

Haha, you know it. I've been having too much fun lately. 

Andy

8 hours ago, OzarkFishman said:

That looks like a blast. I love small water. Truly nothing better than small water top water smallmouth fishing. They just explode in 6-24” of water. 

Until this year, topwater wasn't my thing. I never used it for lake fish at home, nothing. After trying it in earnest, it's now the first (second and third) option out of my tackle bag. I've really fallen in love with the 80 to 95mm baits in creeks. 

Andy

7 hours ago, drew03cmc said:

Until this year, topwater wasn't my thing. I never used it for lake fish at home, nothing. After trying it in earnest, it's now the first (second and third) option out of my tackle bag. I've really fallen in love with the 80 to 95mm baits in creeks. 

I love seeing multiple wakes going after my top water bait in shallow creeks. Always exciting to see who hits it first😀.

I fished the pool beneath a briidge on a similar skinny creek. Had ten wakes go after my bait. Caught five on the top water and three others on a fluke. That was fun😀.

3 hours ago, Johnsfolly said:

I love seeing multiple wakes going after my top water bait in shallow creeks. Always exciting to see who hits it first😀.

I fished the pool beneath a briidge on a similar skinny creek. Had ten wakes go after my bait. Caught five on the top water and three others on a fluke. That was fun😀.

I had a similar experience in that I flipped my Ziggy under the bridge I accessed at and hooked one right after it landed and as the fish ran around, all 12" of it, a 10" smallie latched on the other hook and I almost caught my first double. I always love walking the bait back in and seeing the wakes come after the bait and then kersploosh, it's gone.

Andy

If you guys have kids and you want them to get in on some top water action ... try this ... a weightless lizard on an offset worm-hook. Tell them to reel it fast enough to stay on top, but no faster.  On the small clear water creeks we have, this tears the smallmouth up. My oldest caught two 3 pounders in one day a few years back in knee deep water. 

Even though I said for kids, I still use this bait more than walk the dog baits (for skinny water). You will go through plenty on a good day, but you can cut the head off and throw it on a ned rig and slay them as well (not topwater of course). 

It does have a learning curve as far as hookset (I suggest nanofil and a leader). 

Tightlines