Featured
Seth Clarkson
Seth Clarkson

Awesome Topwater Day 7/21

Put in at Shadowrock around 6:15. Dam was running water so we got past the fog and cold water line only to find someone on the point we planned to start. Sure glad there was because Dad and I went to the next point and saw fish busting shad and started slaying them on Sexy Dawgs. Had something like 7 fish in our first 10 casts, with a limit. That lasted from 6:30 to 7:30 then eventually we found another spot of fish busting shad and caught more from 10:30 to 11:30. When the flurries started to slow down I tried a flutter spoon but they weren't interested, and it seemed to be best with a little wind blowing up onto the point. Caught around 40 bass with 90% on topwater, all largemouth except for 1 spotted bass, 1 white bass, and a smallmouth on a jig by the dam. Had close to 20 keepers but nothing over 16 1/2 inches. Dad hooked a beast of a fish but we only got to see the splash and a huge tail before it opened up a heavy duty clip and stole his Sexy Dawg. We hoped the lure might float back up but we never saw it. 

Also saw a ton of huge carp up around the pothole at the dam. 

20180721_065639.jpg

20180721_143250.jpg

User Feedback

Recommended Comments

Am I going to the wrong place when I tried to go to Shadowrock?  Is the ramp just one lane and steep with no dock?  I tried to go there last Wednesday, but that was all I found and I only had a 7 year old with me.  No way I was trying that by myself.  Off to KDock we went!  

5 minutes ago, Royal Blue said:

Am I going to the wrong place when I tried to go to Shadowrock?  Is the ramp just one lane and steep with no dock?  I tried to go there last Wednesday, but that was all I found and I only had a 7 year old with me.  No way I was trying that by myself.  Off to KDock we went!  

Right place for now anyway. The river run side across the lake has better parking and the ramp isn't as steep. It doesn't have a courtesy dock and is closed right now due to the bridge construction. 

How did you do out of KDock? 

5 minutes ago, Seth Clarkson said:

Right place for now anyway. The river run side across the lake has better parking and the ramp isn't as steep. It doesn't have a courtesy dock and is closed right now due to the bridge construction. 

How did you do out of KDock? 

I've been on them pretty good down there for a few weeks.  Went again yesterday for only about 3 1/2 hours and had 16.  About half were keepers.  I've not seen hardly any topwater action happening all year.  Everything busting are super small whites, gar, or carp.  I've been catching them all on jigs, a jackhammer chatterbait, and yesterday caught 2 on a 6XD.  That jig bite has been pretty good for a month or so and it's hard to speed up and cover more water when they're eating it.

Just now, Royal Blue said:

I've been on them pretty good down there for a few weeks.  Went again yesterday for only about 3 1/2 hours and had 16.  About half were keepers.  I've not seen hardly any topwater action happening all year.  Everything busting are super small whites, gar, or carp.  I've been catching them all on jigs, a jackhammer chatterbait, and yesterday caught 2 on a 6XD.  That jig bite has been pretty good for a month or so and it's hard to speed up and cover more water when they're eating it.

The only reason we have got top water our last 2 outings is because we saw them up busting shad. If we haven't seen them up we never catch anything on top. 

Was the jig bite in deeper water out on points? Most anything we have caughtt recently has been mainly around mud, I assume because its not as hot as the rock. 

You wouldn't believe me without seeing it.  I start on main lake points and have been catching them both deep (20-25ft) and shallow enough in the pockets that you can see some of them.  They're relating to rock and bushes like crazy early in the mornings still.  I can't make myself not flip a bush or a stickup in the water.  Every crankbait fish is on a point though.

Any kind of small point in a pocket seems to hold fish right now.  It's weird too, if you try one pocket and don't get bit, go on to the next one and they'll be in there.  They're spitting up crawdad claws and really chasing small bluegills.  I'd say that a gill colored squarebill or shallow scatter rap would work too.  I almost tried that yesterday.

53 minutes ago, STLbassbuster said:

Does anyone use the lakeview ramp by the dam? Heading down friday and never been by the dam area.

I could be wrong, but if you are meaning Lakeview in Arkansas, the lower Bull Shoals thread may have more knowledge. I have never put in below the state line. 

The hybrid stripers are so much fun on topwater, nice to see you get some. Really exciting when the hit almost at the rod tip. Had a couple do that, had me shaking so bad and had the heart pounding. Had to sit for a few minutes before I could make another cast.