What Rod Length Do You Use For Wading

drew03cmc

What Rod length and type do you use when wading?  

47 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I go against the grain of the others. I'm usually fishing fairly small creeks when wading, and I really like a short rod to handle tight places. I also use more topwater lures than anything else while wading, and I don't like playing topwaters with spinning tackle. I usually use a 5'6" medium power casting rod. I used to use a lighter power rod, but if I DO want to fish something like a tube or small jig, I need enough backbone to set the hook. If I am on a really small creek, however, where I don't expect to catch anything bigger than 14 inches or so, I'll go to a medium light spinning rod. Nearly all the creeks I wade, though, hold fish up to 18 inches or more.

Me too, except I like a 6 foot medium baitcaster. Shorter is better in yaks and canoes during float and wade trips IMO.

Jim "The obsessions of others are opaque to the unobsessed, and thus easy to mock...If we are lucky we all have at least one."

• 2 months later...

well my rods of choice don't fall into any of those choices.

i typically carry either my 9ft 7 weight flyrod, my 13 foot cane pole, or my 18.5 foot cane pole

Let the summer of Carp, begin.

I have been targetting trout in some of the smaller wild trout streams or smaller fish lately and use a 6'6" UL spin rod. This summer, I plan to get back to stream bass fishing and will likely pull out the 6' M spin rod. I've really like the Bass Pro Microlite rods.

I carry 2 rods floating & 1 of them wading.

6'9" Falcon Cara T7 drop shot spinning rod (for all things finesse) 10lb braid/8lb yozuri hybrid leader, straight braid on 3.5" swimbaits

6'10" Falcon Lowrider XG baitcaster (finesse jigs, buzzbaits, square bills) 15lb yozuri hybrid

• Members

I use a 5.5 foot medium-light spinning rod. I actually catch a lot of ribbing from my friends about this and they are always asking me what I am going to do if I catch a "real fish". At times I've tried to use a longer (6-6.5 foot) rod, but I just have trouble getting it caught up, and since I have used the shorter rod all of my life I have trouble casting as accurately with the longer rods. Usually I use 6 lb test, and I can't say I break off very often. This could either be because a) I've been pretty lucky or B) I don't catch many "real fish". I did catch a 12 pound channel catfish on a 1" tube once and managed to bring it in. That was a pretty good time, but I really thought I was going to lose that one a few times.

http://www.falconrods.com/cara-t7.htmlI wade with this rod.......I have found it o be the best rod I have bought in a long time ....the 6'8" spinning drop shot is just perfect for me.....I have a bunch of st.Croix Avid and Shimano Crucial spinning rods I used to fish with that now stay at home in the fishermans dude den. The Falcon Cara T7 is frigging killer and I use 10lb Pline CX premium/moss/ grn......in clear water and Yozuri Hybrid in off color.

That is just me and how I have had to evolve to this point but, I catch the hell out of fish with that set up.

SmallieBigs thats exactly the same rod I use when wading. Super duper rod

I like braid/hybrid most of the time, but switch to staright braid on those little swimbaits

http://www.falconrods.com/cara-t7.htmlI wade with this rod.......I have found it o be the best rod I have bought in a long time ....the 6'8" spinning drop shot is just perfect for me.....I have a bunch of st.Croix Avid and Shimano Crucial spinning rods I used to fish with that now stay at home in the fishermans dude den. The Falcon Cara T7 is frigging killer and I use 10lb Pline CX premium/moss/ grn......in clear water and Yozuri Hybrid in off color.

That is just me and how I have had to evolve to this point but, I catch the hell out of fish with that set up.

I use mostly St.Croix. I have a 6'8 MXF SCV rod i use but i do have a Cara T7 Amistad model for heavy jigging and i love that thing! Falcon is great stuff and i highly recommend them. I also use Yozuri Hybrid in #8 and for the money is fantastic.

• 2 weeks later...

My question for those preferring longer sticks, do you feel limited by smaller flows?

I frequent streams the size of mineral fork and mill creek and I never feel that way. I'm usually packing a spinning rod from 6'8-7' in length and never have troubles. I can see why people like to use a shorter rod for that type of fishing but I don't feel that I need one and I certainly don't feel like I'm at any disadvantage.