Favorite Movies

ness

You have three of my top five on your list. The two John Wayne's, The Quiet Man and The Searchers, and my number one, To Kill a Mockingbird. Apocalypse Now is in my five as is Casablanca. Lawrence of Arabia is a near miss. For a real change of pace worth thinking about add Million Dollar Baby.

When I was picking a number 1 it was The Searchers. So hard to pick and rank.

John

The only Coen Brothers movie I rate really high is No Country for Old Men. Give me the original True Grit for example. Qunten Tarantino has made some good stuff. Jackie Brown gets my vote for his best movie.

No Country is one of those movies that makes my heart beat fast. They really build the tension.

I have a hard time with the old vs new True Grit. The old one was great, But, I think I've got to give it to the new one. Jeff Bridges has become one of my faves (Seabiscuit, Crazy Heart). And those Coen brothers can sure put together dialog. No love for Raising Arizona?

Tarantino is hard to grasp for this ADHD sufferer. Gotta watch them twice, at least

John

I see a pattern as well. Great direction. Orson Welles once said he learned from the three greatest directors in Hollywood. John Ford, John Ford, and John Ford.

Obviously he is in the group, as is Spielberg, Capra, the Coen brothers, and, I think, Eastwood. David Lean wasn't too shabby either.

If I were to be completely honest, I would have to say that I have never stopped and tried to compile a list of my favorite movies. Now that I have spent a few minutes tossing this around, I'm going to have to agree with you on a few of those.

American Sniper - I remeember when this movie was over, the theater had an almost uncomfortable silence. Nobody knew whether to stand up and salute, or cry, or applaud, are any combination of those.

A Few Good Men

Saving Private Ryan

The Sixth Sense

Tombstone

Grand Toreno

The Shawshank Redemption

The green Mile

Se7en

and just incase my wife is reading this..... The Notebook.

I would have listed The Passion of the Christ, but I thought the book was better!

Every one of those is a great movie, we're pretty close on tastes. Haven seen American Sniper. Passion of the Christ was a downer :D

John

Where the Red Fern Grows (Original 1974 )

American Sniper

Quiet Man

Jeremiah Johnson

She wore a Yellow Ribbon

Red Feen. Man, it's been a while. Yellow Ribbon, Wayne and Ford again. I'm surprised so many of us overlap on this stuff.

John

Ness this is what I have told everyone on Sniper.... Ignore all the media BS about it. Think of it as a story of a Mans life and you will come out feeling something I can not describe properly. I have seen it now 15 times and each time I have that same feeling.

Another Eastwood film. Sniper that is.