Putting together a plan based on weather forecast ?

gitnby

Will try to do some fishing Wednesday through Saturday this week.

Look at this long-range forecast for KC:

http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USMO0468:1:US

Thursday (Thanksgiving looks like a wash-out?) although temps won't be bad?

Wednesday might be the best day with steady temps and overcast skies?

Friday & Saturday the cooler temps settle in.

I'm curious to hear some thoughts on how you would attack the lake based on this forecast and recent reports and experience.

I'm thinking that I'll start off Wednesday with TW and SB in pockets and chunk rock banks in back of creeks and work my way out.

After that, maybe FB jig on some gravel points at the drop off?

Of course, I like to follow the wind, so concentrate on wind-blown areas.

If none of that works, then hunker down on the graph and find some deeper fish with the spoon. In front of docks, bluff ends and deep drops on channel swings.

With the cold moving in on Friday, that could all change?

Some fish will get tight, and others will use the temp drop to move up?

I won't bore you with the rest of my plan, but it seems that the past few weeks, the fish have been totally unpredictable, which is why adjustments are the key!

I read reports of 2 guys fishing the approximate same area with totally different results? Assuming the same proficiency of anglers, it is weird to see the fish doing the exact opposite of what us 'seasoned' guys expect? (ie.,TW bite on calm sunny days, spoon bite in 10 FOW?, etc)

Anyway, we ALL do it! We look at the forecast and rig up accordingly.

Let's hear you thoughts !

You can probably catch them any way you want. They are in a biting mood right now. I fished Beaver today and had 11.84 lbs up in the river. 20 lbs was caught up by the dam and lots of good sacks in between were caught mid lake. I used crankbaits,drop shot and flipped a jig into cover. I heard drop shots and even jerkbaits were used on the lower end. Great time to be on the water.

I like your plan gitnby but I think the TW part might be a little overly optimistic. The water temp was 57 around Eagle Rock before this last big cold front so I would expect it to be lower 50s by now. I didn't see any mention of a crank bait (Wart or something similar), for which the time is getting right.

One other thing ... don't let the clouds and wind trick you into throwing a SB too long. If you throw it for a couple hours with marginal results, be sure and pick up a jig or a Ned and see if they seem to be feeding down. They're famous on this lake for doing that on dark days when conventional wisdom says they should be looking up.

I'm going Wednesday. Let's compare notes afterward.

ClassActionTransparent.png

gitnby,Sore, Champ,

to heck with the forecast

tis the season of crawdad love

there will still be some active this week during the full moon phase ;)

pretty sure i've caught more bass on a finesse jig/craw combo during the full moon in Nov. than any other lure in my box.

good luck  guys :)

I plan on going up the James River on Wednesday and south of Baxter on Thursday morning for a few hours.  I'm thinking the WT might be in the low 50s and hopefully a little stained.  My plan is to throw a square bill, swim bait, spinner bait, jig and ned.  I hope to have some nice pictures to post on Friday.  Good luck to all who can wet a lure this week.

Mike

Im going tomorrow probably wont get in water till around noon and put in at shell knob...just dont know what direction im going from there....son has to work till 8 am and he takes a nap for couple of hours before we go.

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips

176Champ, I'm going with my son also.  He is driving down on Wednesday morning from STL so we probably will not get on the water till after noon.  He has fished the upper James this time of year in the past and is excited about doing it again.  We will probably put in near the 76 bridge and head towards Flat Creek or further up. Fishing with our sons is always a good time.  Catching fish is the icing.  Good luck.

Mike

1 hour ago, Champ188 said:

I like your plan gitnby but I think the TW part might be a little overly optimistic. The water temp was 57 around Eagle Rock before this last big cold front so I would expect it to be lower 50s by now. I didn't see any mention of a crank bait (Wart or something similar), for which the time is getting right.

One other thing ... don't let the clouds and wind trick you into throwing a SB too long. If you throw it for a couple hours with marginal results, be sure and pick up a jig or a Ned and see if they seem to be feeding down. They're famous on this lake for doing that on dark days when conventional wisdom says they should be looking up.

I'm going Wednesday. Let's compare notes afterward.

Yep. I almost always have a Wiggle wart tied on. I don't know why I don't use it more?  Two of my three biggest bass were caught on it. 

21 minutes ago, m&m said:

176Champ, I'm going with my son also.  He is driving down on Wednesday morning from STL so we probably will not get on the water till after noon.  He has fished the upper James this time of year in the past and is excited about doing it again.  We will probably put in near the 76 bridge and head towards Flat Creek or further up. Fishing with our sons is always a good time.  Catching fish is the icing.  Good luck.

Mike

My son lives 10 miles away from me we usually go fishing once a week...last time i was up the James it was windy as all get out and white caps...water temp up there was 56 then and water was dirty or stained....good luck..time spent with kids fishing is priceless...

I know everything about nothing and know nothing about everything!

Bruce Philips