How did everyone do?

Hydro 205

Don't mean to totally hijack this thread because I really enjoy reading about everybody's experiences. But I've never fished a chatterbait. How do you use one of those? Is it fished like a jig or like a spinnerbait or what?

22 minutes ago, slothman said:

Don't mean to totally hijack this thread because I really enjoy reading about everybody's experiences. But I've never fished a chatterbait. How do you use one of those? Is it fished like a jig or like a spinnerbait or what?

Yes.  :)

More like a Spinnerbait or a Swim jig.  

I've had limited success with them when fish are suspended right under the docks, and I hear they are great on lakes with submerged grass.  I love fishing them cuz they feel cool as hell (thumpity thumpity thumpity) and you just kinda expect something to rip the rod out of your hand.   But I personally do way better with a swim jig and boot-tail trailer.   

I guess I just need to have a real good day with one so I can build more confidence in them.

Unlike a spinnerbait, the chatterbaits are not to good around wood.  I can fish a lay down with a spinnerbait just similar to a squarebill.  Lots of contact, up and over limbs, etc.  Chatterbait typically ends up hungup.  Got to give it plenty of clearance around wood.

2 hours ago, DADAKOTA said:

Unlike a spinnerbait, the chatterbaits are not to good around wood.  I can fish a lay down with a spinnerbait just similar to a squarebill.  Lots of contact, up and over limbs, etc.  Chatterbait typically ends up hungup.  Got to give it plenty of clearance around wood.

Nutech makes a chatterbait that looks extremely weedless. I've not tried any yet though.
rs.php?path=NTCJ-BB-1.jpg

You could also try this with those clip on coils used on swimbait hooks.
weedlessshak02.jpg