Map help

fishin1892

• Members

I have been traveling to Stockton for a spring camping trip for several years and follow the forum more as my trip gets closer. Helps me get warmed up for the trip.

Problem is I really have trouble following many of the posts because I don't have a map that includes names for a lot of the locations the posters refer to.

Can anyone point me to a good map that has some of the place names?

Thanks 

There are some maps on the net if you google Stockton Lake maps. If you have questions about where specific areas are, just ask. Many of the guys on here are pretty good about sharing information. Zarraspook might even post up satellite imagery to show you a map of where an area is.There's some local slang used in referring to some coves, points, etc. on the lake, and a lot of the time I don't know where the heck guys are referring to either unless I ask. When and where are you camping, and what are you fishing for?

WM

• Members

A buddy from Texas and I tent camp at Hawker point for week in late April. I am from Terre Haute and it is almost exactly the same distance for each of us.

We are almost exclusively fishing for walleyes. Love those "eyes"!

I am mainly just trying to follow references to general locations. 

We mainly fish north of Hawker and have had good luck. No huge numbers but we don't starve.

I will try another Google search.

Thanks

• Members

Thanks for the replies and PM's.

I have the Navionics app. It is great and inexpensive but doesn't name a lot of the creeks and local place names used on the Forum.

One problem with the Navionics app is I spend hours in February and March marking spots that look promising and end up covering the whole map with markers!

I don't know about the navionics phone app but their web app has a majority of the main creeks named on it.  If there are names locals use to call locations you probably won't find those on any map that is commercially produced if they aren't common names.

Screen_Shot_2017-03-02_at_7_54.45_PM.png

-- Jim

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles. -- Doug Larson

• Members

Very best map you can own (on any lake) is the Fishing Hot Spots map.   I buy one for a new lake before ever fishing that lake.  They are excellent maps that show all contours and bottom structures but the best thing about them is that on the back is detailed information about all areas of the lake and what fish you will catch there.  It is spot on.  You can buy them at Bass Pro Shop in Springfield.  Mutton Creek marina normally has the Stockton Lake map for sale.  They cost about $40.

Good luck fishing.   I'll start fishing (and camping) Stockton for walleye/crappie around April 10th for about one month.

Larry

You can buy the Hot spot maps a lot cheaper online (ebay) .I use the Hot spot and the lake master charts in my Humminbird.The lake master software is awesome.

Mike