Early Morning Jerk Baiting with Hunter

I beat Ducky to the ramp this morning that happens very seldom.

Hunter is leaving for the Marine Corps tomorrow and his dad bought him a trip to try and catch a big fish.  We started with a 4:45 launch out of Cooper and were tossing the megabass by 0500.  First fish  down stream from the ramp came at 5:30 and it totally crushed the stick bait.  We got 3 huge head shaking jumps out of it before it slung the mega bass back at the boat.  Hunter was a bit unprepared and got the line and rod behind him and the fish totally whipped him.  Would have whipped me too.

Just a beautiful orange/yellow and red spotted fish that was probably 24 to 26 inches.  Hunter's dad and grand dad were in the boat and their eyes were as big a saucers.  The fish had the back hook in its mouth and the other two treble hooks were stuck to the side of its head, have no idea how it spit it with that many hooks but the battle was simply magnificent.  Hunter's dad ran to the front and they were hugging and high 5ing like crazy.  I was just sitting there with my mouth open, agasp.

Next fish came at 6:30 and it was just about a repeat, only bigger.  Hunter was keeping the bait moving turning its head like walking the dog with a Zara Spook and this one nearly took the rod out of his hand.  As a matter of fact he said it hurt him.  The big brown just banged the stick bait about 1/2 back to the boat on a full cast toward the bank.  Fish came off the channel bank below Cooper.

This fish was heavy wide thick and fat.  On the strike it went down and then came completely out of the water tail and all.  It was not as vibrant a color as the first, with more silver and probably 26 inches but really, really thick.  After that jump it ran down stream and jumped on a tight line quartering away from the boat.  Hunter held on as the drag sang.  It then turned toward the channel and jumped again not getting quite out of the water but enough to know it meant business.  The crazy fish then reversed its course and ran back the way it came.  Hunter had been doing a masterful job up to that point, as he had the drag singing and a nice bend in the 6'6" falcon medium rod.  When the fish turned back toward us his line just went totally slack and his rod bounced up and he quit reeling, thinking the big brown trout had pulled free.   His dad yelled you still have him, and he is running at you and we both in unison yelled "Keep Reeling,"   at that very moment, the fate full 4th. jump came almost back where he stuck him on a totally slack line.  I can still see that bait flying thru the air.

I think after that one all 4 of us were totally silent and did not breath for  2 minutes, and that is a long time for me not saying anything. 

Never boated a fish this morning and this will still go down as one of my all time favorite trips.  We sent Hunter off to serve his country with one of the most exciting mornings I have ever spent with a client outside of Alaska. 

• Members

Great report Bill.  What a day for the young man.  A day he will never forget.  

Any report on Table Rock?  We killed them 3 weeks ago before the water went up again as well as the lake temp and are struggling to find keeper bass.  Have tried both shallow and deep on a variety of baits.  Any suggestions would be much appreciated.  Good fishing everyone.