Mexico

Duck

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First I would plan on the investment of a good reputable guide. Do your research here, don't just take the word of the first person you come across. A guide that matches your wants, needs and fishing style makes a day on the water memorable in the way you want it to be memorable.

I would also fish in Texas, not Mexico. Lake Falcon is producing incredible fishing. If a Texas / Mexico border lake is chosen simply stay on the Texas side. Not only will it be the safer intelligent choice, it will also be cheaper. This issue would need to be acknowledged by the guide.

If you find the Texas Fishing Forum and post your concerns on the bass fishing site you will get plenty of responses. You can do a lot of research on that site. Good Luck

First I would plan on the investment of a good reputable guide. Do your research here, don't just take the word of the first person you come across. A guide that matches your wants, needs and fishing style makes a day on the water memorable in the way you want it to be memorable.

I would also fish in Texas, not Mexico. Lake Falcon is producing incredible fishing. If a Texas / Mexico border lake is chosen simply stay on the Texas side. Not only will it be the safer intelligent choice, it will also be cheaper. This issue would need to be acknowledged by the guide.

If you find the Texas Fishing Forum and post your concerns on the bass fishing site you will get plenty of responses. You can do a lot of research on that site. Good Luck

Just because someone stays on the Texas side doesn't mean you won't run into trouble. Those guys are running drugs across the lake and delivering it to the Texas side. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time it could get ugly. When we were there two years ago the water was way up and those Mexican fisherman were netting fish on the Texas side. I was told that they can get in serious trouble with the law if they are caught. They could do something drastic to get out of trouble. I'm not saying don't go. I'm saying be careful. It just depends what a possible fish of a lifetime is worth. Choke Canyon has just as big of fish and has a 1/4 of the pressure. Check it out. Good luck on your decision and have fun.

Just because someone stays on the Texas side doesn't mean you won't run into trouble. Those guys are running drugs across the lake and delivering it to the Texas side. If you are in the wrong place at the wrong time it could get ugly. When we were there two years ago the water was way up and those Mexican fisherman were netting fish on the Texas side. I was told that they can get in serious trouble with the law if they are caught. They could do something drastic to get out of trouble. I'm not saying don't go. I'm saying be careful. It just depends what a possible fish of a lifetime is worth. Choke Canyon has just as big of fish and has a 1/4 of the pressure. Check it out. Good luck on your decision and have fun.

Your point is well taken. Your point also affirms my suggestion that a person should do their due diligence when selecting a "good guide". One of the criteria in this research and selection process should definitely be personal safety and how much "seasoned " experience on this particular body of water does the prospective guide have. I'm not saying this is going to prevent all problems but if it was me I'd rather hire a guide who was on the location permanently with a "real" understanding of the situation than a guide who just shows up and guides for 2or3 months and then disappears until the same time next year. Both types of guides exist and I would feel much safer with one than I would the other. Choke Canyon with a good guide would definitely be a good U.S. Choice and I think if it were me I would also check out Squaw Creek. I think it might also be closer.

I'm also retired from a career in law enforcement, and back in the 1970's my dad and I made a 2-week trip to Lake Guerrero. We camped on a sandbar of the river running out of the lake, and we had a ball with the bass fishing in the lake and the Rio Grande Perch in the river. The local people were friendly and nice in every way, but the government was downright scary - and we didn't run into any drug smugglers back then.

We got ambushed on a dirt road by a squad of uniformed federales pointing M1 Garands at us, and I thought sure they were going to shoot us and steal the truck and camper. I was able to "badge" my way out of it, and once they understood that I was a cop in the U.S. and that we didn't have any guns it was OK. They pretty well wrecked the camper searching it, though.

We'd left our handguns with the McAllen, TX, P.D. before crossing into Mexico, and when we got back we learned from those guys that a Mexican police station had been attacked and some officers killed - supposedly by Cuban guerillas who'd snuck in from the coast. The Mexican cops were on a rampage and out for blood, and that's 'way too exciting for a fishing trip, in my opinion. It's a crazy place.

That was back when things were fairly safe, and I understand it's 100 times worse now. Maybe a guided trip to a lake 'way down in Mexico, like El Salto, would still be OK. I don't know. I wouldn't mess around that border for anything now, though. Don't do it.

Want to fish Mexico for a biggen and be warm this winter. What and when is the best time and how long of a stay. Where is the top places. Would like to go in Jan. or early Feb. Bill Babler any input? Duck (Roger)

Fly to Cabo then book a trip with a local outfitter for a "real" biggun' on the ocean. Prices are better than they used to be. Just gotta do your homework.

HUMAN RELATIONS MANAGER @ OZARK FISHING EXPEDITIONS

I came across this news article this morning, about Mexican troops murdering another American.

Mexico

That wasn't around the border, it was near Acapulco, and this stuff is happening a lot. Besides the criminals who'll obviously kill Americans, the police and military often do the same - and they'll falsify evidence and not get in trouble for doing it. Like I said in my post above, my dad and I nearly got killed by cops down there in the 1970's - it could have easily have gone either way.

I think Americans ought to stay out of the whole country and quit spending money down there until Mexico gets rid of the crime and corruption and makes it a safe place to visit. It's pretty dumb to go on vacation to a place where you have absolutely no rights and the criminals and crooked cops can do anything they want to, including kill you. Just my opinion.

• Members

I came across this news article this morning, about Mexican troops murdering another American.

Mexico

That wasn't around the border, it was near Acapulco, and this stuff is happening a lot. Besides the criminals who'll obviously kill Americans, the police and military often do the same - and they'll falsify evidence and not get in trouble for doing it. Like I said in my post above, my dad and I nearly got killed by cops down there in the 1970's - it could have easily have gone either way.

I think Americans ought to stay out of the whole country and quit spending money down there until Mexico gets rid of the crime and corruption and makes it a safe place to visit. It's pretty dumb to go on vacation to a place where you have absolutely no rights and the criminals and crooked cops can do anything they want to, including kill you. Just my opinion.

couldn't agree more about not spending your money down there! I know of a family that would participate in the Baja every year until this year. On there way home they were stopped by people in cop uniforms, they had weapons pointed at their head while on their knees in the ditch. They lost their entire racing operation and felt lucky to be left alive. They had to walk several miles and were rescued by the embassy.