Mexico

Duck

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ivan martin from grand lake -- goes to lake cuchillo and has guide trips for a couple months each winter. it's just south of McAllen TX. i know a couple guys that have been with and it is supposed to be good fishing.

i think for my money -- i'd stay in the good ole usa and go to south texas and fish lake Amistad

you wouldn't have to mess with a passport, and the fishing is awesome.

as far as a time to go -- i'd say wait til superbowl weekend at least

I would stay away from any lakes that are near the border of Texas/Mexico. There is some major unrest between the law and drug cartells. Choke Canyon Lake, Tx is an awesome lake. I watched a guy catch a 11lb 4oz Hawg about 50 yards from where we were fishing. If you look in Bassmaster magazine you will see a lot of big bass in the lunker section in the back that come out of this lake. Checkn out Choke Canyon Lodge online. It's a neat place to fish.

I'd suggest that you strongly consider El Salto but do so with a reputable outfitter. Here's a good place to start ...

www.rickygreenadventures.com

ClassActionTransparent.png

I agree with Champ. Elsalto is a great lake and much safer than any lakes near the border. I have fished it ten days in three trips and normally catch a ten lber or better each trip. I've stayed several places, but prefer to stay in Mazatlan. I recommend Hono Elizalde. He will pick you up dailey at your hotel for $300 per day (I think the price is the same).

You can contact him at: http://www.basselsalto.com

I've fished Cuchillo in the past, but there is no way I would go there now. I thought it was violent when I went, but it's a lot worse now. Falcon is supposed to be safe as long as you stay on the Texas side. I think it's had a lot of attention since the jet ski incident and the added pressure has pushed the problems from the area. But you have to stay on the Texas side.

I've fished Cuchillo in the past, but there is no way I would go there now. I thought it was violent when I went, but it's a lot worse now. Falcon is supposed to be safe as long as you stay on the Texas side. I think it's had a lot of attention since the jet ski incident and the added pressure has pushed the problems from the area. But you have to stay on the Texas side.

You're actually actively suggesting that they go to the only lake on the US/Mexican border that has actually had an American casualty in this "War on Drugs"? You crazy!

I don't suggest you go to Mexico at all, I would suggest Dixon Lake in California..

cricket.c21.com

You're actually actively suggesting that they go to the only lake on the US/Mexican border that has actually had an American casualty in this "War on Drugs"?

Yeah, so? With that incident it only brought more attention and increased enforcement. My dad has several friends that live on the lake and they say it's safer now than it has been in years. As long as you stay on the Texas side. And who knows what happened in that incident. First they were NOT on the Texas side of the lake, they weren't even close. Just what where they doing over there on a jet ski?

Yeah, so? With that incident it only brought more attention and increased enforcement. My dad has several friends that live on the lake and they say it's safer now than it has been in years. As long as you stay on the Texas side. And who knows what happened in that incident. First they were NOT on the Texas side of the lake, they weren't even close. Just what where they doing over there on a jet ski?

Someone told them the bass were bigger in Mexico... ;)

cricket.c21.com